Time trends in leisure time physical activity and physical fitness in elderly people: 20 year followup of the Spanish population national health survey (1987-2006)
- Population Reach and Recruitment Bias in a Maintenance RCT in Physically Active Older Adults. Martinson, Brian C.; Crain, A. Lauren; Sherwood, Nancy E.; Hayes, Marcia G.; Pronk, Nicolaas P.; O’Connor, Patrick J. // Journal of Physical Activity & Health;Jan2010, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p127
Objective: To assess the representativeness of older adults recruited to a physical activity maintenance RCT by conducting sequential comparisons to characterize study sample composition changes occurring between sampling frame construction and study enrollment. Method: Study subjects (N = 1049)...
- BREAK FREE OF MUST-SEE TV. Bell, Jenna A. // Today's Dietitian;Apr2011, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p8
The article presents a research, which states that increase physical activity may be important for heart health and longevity. The research was conducted on 4,512 participants of the 2003 Scottish Health Survey to record the amount of leisure time. The research found that individuals who spent...
- BIO-PSYCHO-SOCIO-ENVIRONMENTï¿½LNï¿½ KORELï¿½TY ZDRAVOTNE PROSPEï¿½Nï¿½ POHYBOVï¿½ AKTIVITY DOSPELï¿½CH OBYVATEL OSTRAVSKï¿½HO REGIONU S VYUï¿½ITï¿½M FORMï¿½LNï¿½... Fojt�k, Igor; Sigmund, Erik; Mican, Oldrich; Sigmundov�, Dagmar // Physical Culture / Telesna Kultura;2011, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p22
BACKGROUND: Optimal physical activity (PA) is next to balanced healthy diet and medical care one of the key determinants of prevention of overweight and obesity. Although the Czech Republic is still considered "walkable" society, the increase of obesity initiated the search for bio-psycho-social...
- Physical inactivity and associated factors in older adults in South Africa. Peltzer, Karl; Phaswana-Mafuya, Nancy // African Journal for Physical, Health Education, Recreation & Dan;Sep2012, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p447
Physical inactivity is associated with increased morbidity and mortality and is a key component of healthy aging. There is little research on physical activity and associated factors among older adults in Africa. Therefore, the study aims to investigate the prevalence and associated factors of...
- Physical activity in midlife means improved function in later years. Ryan, Patricia // Research Review (International Council on Active Aging);Feb2013, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p2
The article discusses research on the benefits of physical activity in midlife to functional performance in later years, published in the February 2013 issue of the "Journal of the American Geriatrics Society."
- After 60, too much time spent sitting can result in disability. McKinney, Maureen Foertsch; Scobell, Beverley // Illinois Issues;Apr2014, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p15
The article offers brief information on a study by Northern Medicine, a school of medicine of the Northern University, Illinois, which analyses risk factor for disability, for older people separate from lack of moderate vigorous physical activity after the age of 60.
- Greenspace to facilitate the positive physical activity and mental health outcomes of older adults in Canada. Gavarkovs, Adam // Western Undergraduate Research Journal: Health & Natural Science;2015, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p1
The article presents a brief note on the role of greenspace in facilitating the positive physical and mental health outcomes of older adults in Canada, citing the inadequacy of the provincial legislative mechanism for allowing municipalities to create parkland.
- Physical activity patterns in older men and women in Germany: a cross-sectional study. // BMC Public Health;2011, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p559
The article presents a study analyzing physical activity patterns and exploring factors associated with physical activity in different domains in older men and women in Germany. Reliable and relevant data has been delivered by this study on the participation in and correlates of sporting and...
- Gendered Analyses of Nutrient Deficiencies Among the Elderly. Hung-Hao Chang; Nayga, Jr., Rodolfo M.; Kung-Chi Chan // Journal of Family & Economic Issues;Jun2011, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p268
This paper examines the factors that are associated with nutrient intake status of the elderly. Our study places special attention on the roles of physical functions, mental health, and dietary knowledge on the risk of inadequate nutrition consumption (nutrition consumption deficiencies). Using...