Water outage increases the risk of gastroenteritis and eyes and skin diseases
- Onchocerciasis. Duke, B.O.L. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);10/10/1981, Vol. 283 Issue 6297, p961
Examines the incidence of a skin and eye disease onchocerciasis in Africa. Modes of onchocerciasis transmission; Epidemiology of onchocerciasis; Determination of the intensity of infection.
- Awareness of eye diseases in an urban population in southern India. Dandona, Rakhi; Dandona, Lalit; John, Rajesh K.; McCarty, Catherine A.; Rao, Gullapalli N. // Bulletin of the World Health Organization;2001, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p96
Assesses the level of awareness of eye diseases in the urban population in Hyderabad in southern India. Public awareness of cataract and night blindness; Awareness of diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma; Factors affecting awareness of eye diseases; Need for health education in the southern India.
- CASE NUMBER 3: Painless blue-gray patch affecting a woman's face and eye. // Cortlandt Forum;Oct2007, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p48
The article presents a case study on a painless blue-gray patch affecting a woman's face and eye. The discoloration was found to be a nevus of Ota, a collection of dermal melanocytes around the eye. It notes that six to eight treatments can significantly lighten a lesion. However, the patient...
- Thyroid trouble increases patients' glaucoma risk. // GP: General Practitioner;10/24/2008, p9
The article presents a study on the relationship between thyroid disorders and the risk of developing glaucoma. The research, conducted at the University of Alabama, examined data from 12,376 participants of the U.S. National Health Interview Survey. The research indicated that 6.5% of the...
- Increase in endophthalmitis cases being studied. Webb, Jennifer A. // Ophthalmology Times;8/1/2007, Vol. 32 Issue 15, p10
The article reports that a survey is being undertaken by researchers at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland to determine the number of endophthalmitis cases in the U.S. and also identify their risk factors. It is informed that the survey...
- Call for survey participation. // Optometry Today;5/18/2012, Vol. 52 Issue 10, p8
The article discusses the call for Great Britain practitioners to participate in the Sight Loss and Vision Survey launched by organisations including the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and the Great Britain Vision Strategy along with the Fight for Sight organisation.
- Prevalence and associations of epiretinal membranes in adult Chinese: the Beijing eye study. You, Q; Xu, L; Jonas, J B // Eye;Jul2008, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p874
Purpose: To determine the prevalence of epiretinal membranes in the adult Chinese population. Methods: The Beijing Eye Study, a population-based, cross-sectional cohort study, included 4439 subjects out of 5324 subjects invited to participate (response rate 83.4%) with an age of 40+ years. The...
- Prescribing for skin conditions. // Primary Health Care;Sep2007, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p6
The article presents a survey which examines the prescribing practices of independent extended nurse prescribers for patients with skin conditions, according to researchers in Great Britain. The survey was conducted through a postal questionnaire by 638 qualified independent prescribers...
- Early Warning Signs. Howe, D. K. // American Fitness;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p22
The article presents information on symptoms of rosacea. These include redness on cheeks, nose, chin or forehead, small, visible blood vessels on the face and watery or irritated eyes.