Tanking Denver Aquarium to Close, Leaving $57M of Debt
- RUMBLINGS. // Crain's Detroit Business;3/28/2005, Vol. 21 Issue 13, p26
This article presents news briefs related to business enterprises in Michigan. Friends of the Belle Isle Aquarium is scrambling to keep the aquarium open beyond its April 3 scheduled closure. The nonprofit group has raised $30,000 in cash and pledges to support operations and an endowment, and...
- Total immersion. Gaskie, M. // Architectural Record;Feb1991, Vol. 179 Issue 2, p64
Describes Japan's Osaka aquarium, designed by Cambridge Seven Associates. It features one-way linear routing through a series of changing spaces and exhibits. Crowd control; Large-scale habitats; Range of media; Design; Secondary buildings.
- Making a splash. Pearson, C.A. // Architectural Record;Feb1992, Vol. 180 Issue 2, p80
Examines the new marine-mammal pavilion at Chicago's 1929 Shedd Aquarium. The waterfront building was designed by Lohan Associates and although Modern in design, the oceanarium incorporates Neoclassical elements of the original building. Design; Materials; Uses; Light; Harmony.
- Tropical fish troubles. Hunziker, R. // Boys' Life;Sep89, Vol. 79 Issue 9, p9
Outlines 10 mistakes about aquariums and how to avoid them.
- A walk through the living sea. McMorris, W.B. // Boys' Life;Oct89, Vol. 79 Issue 10, p35
Describes the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California, a marine museum that houses 6,000 specimens. Exhibits; Food chain of marine life.
- Maritime Aquarium breaks attendance record. Dzikowski, Don // Fairfield County Business Journal;01/12/98, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p4
Reports on the attendance record of Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, Connecticut. Economic impact and side businesses of the aquarium; Attractions credited for the increase in the number of visitors; Concerns over the facility's expansion plans.
- Seeing eye to eye. Gould, Stephen J. // Natural History;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 106 Issue 6, p14
States that aquariums, the pride of Victorian drawing rooms, permanently changed their views of sea creatures. Historical background of aquariums; Feature lacking in common aquariums; Principle in which the concept of aquarium rests upon; Quotations taken from the book of Shirley Hibberd, a...
- Mimicking Mother Nature. Yeaple, Judith Anne // Popular Science;Oct92, Vol. 241 Issue 4, p84
Visits the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga, Tennessee, the only institution devoted to `fresh' water. Designed to better acquaint visitors with the Tennessee River, the aquarium presents complex local ecosystems of animals and environment. Automation system in use; Water treatment; Fish...
- Angler-friendly aquarium. Aanstoos, C.M. // Field & Stream;Apr92, Vol. 96 Issue 12, p70B
Reports that the Tennessee Aquarium, opening May 1 in Chattanooga, Tenn., is the first freshwater life center in the United States. Focusing on freshwater aquatic life and ecosystems; More.