Report: State Tax Collections Drop Despite Sunny Economic Forecasts
- States' third-quarter tax revenue up 6.6%, study says. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;12/16/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30541, p4
Discusses the growth of tax revenue in the United States for the third-quarter of 1998, according to a study by the Center for the Study of the States. Increase in personal income tax; Tax collection; Likelihood that states will be able to proceed with proposed tax cuts in 1999.
- TENNESSEE: January Revenue Up. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;2/22/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32573, p9
The article reports on the $56 million or 5.9 percent increase on the revenues that were collected in Tennessee in January 2007. Data from the Department of Revenue projected that the main contributory factors are sales and use tax collections which increased by 4.4 percent over the $702 million...
- U.S. Census Bureau: State government revenues decline 31 percent. // American City & County Exclusive Insight;1/14/2011, p7
The article reports on the decline in total U.S. state government revenues by 30.8 percent to $1.1 trillion in 2009 from $1.6 trillion in 2008, based on the findings by the U.S. Census Bureau. It states that the large decrease was mainly due to the reduction in social insurance trust revenue. It...
- Right Data. Rubenstein, Ed // National Review;4/21/1997, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p16
The article asserts that the tax forms and tax code of the U.S. are too complicated. It provides a background on the changes made on the tax code. The number of words in the code increased to more than 800,000 from 1954 to 1994. It states that it takes the average taxpayer 2.9 hours to complete...
- California's Revenue Collections Still Disappointing, Report Says. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;12/17/2009, Vol. 370 Issue 33235, p4
The article reports on the negative performance of revenue in California as of December 2009. The state's Department of Finance has revealed a weaker-than-projection pace on the revenue of its general fund. Specifically, its November agency cash is recorded at 4.9 billion dollars, down by 439...
- A Nice Problem: Is the Economy Too Hot? Kelemen, Jasmina // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p74
Reports that state officials of Hawaii has eradicated its expected shortfalls and set the state for projected revenue growth as far out as 2011, as the state's economy rebounded over the past years. Percentage of increase expected by the officials from the state's general fund reserves; Impact...
- Virginia Revenues Outpace Forecasts by 42%. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;8/28/2015, Vol. 1 Issue F333, p1
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe told a legislative panel that a "reversal in fortune" positioned state revenues to outpace forecasts by substantial sums.
- GFOA/MBIA 1997 survey on revenue collection practices in states and local governments. Tigue, Patricia; Larson, M. Corinne; Zorn, Paul // Public Management (00333611);Mar98, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p20
Presents the result of the survey conducted by the Government Finance Officers Association regarding revenue collection in state and local governments in the United States. Efficiency in applying automated approaches in revenue collection; Positive effect of competition in collection process;...
- Definition of Terms. // Internal Revenue Bulletin;5/27/2013, Vol. 2013 Issue 22, pi
A glossary of terms related to public revenue rulings and public revenue procedures is presented.