TITLE

Comparison of Total Hip Arthroplasty Performed with and without Cement: A Randomized Trial

AUTHOR(S)
Corten, Kristoff; Bourne, Robert B.; Charron, Kory D.; Au, Keegan; Rorabeck, Cecil H.
PUB. DATE
July 2011
SOURCE
Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;7/20/2011, Vol. 93-A Issue 14, p1335
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
Abstract: Total hip arthroplasty has been associated with excellent implant survival rates, but debate remains con- cerning the best fixabon method for the components. A randomized controlled trial, which included 250 patients (mean age, sixty-four years) with osteoarthritis who were managed with total hip arthroplasty between October 1987 and January 1992, was conducted to compare the results of ~xation with and without cement. Patients were followed for a mean of twenty years (range, seventeen to twenty-one years). l~capIan-Meier survivorship analysis at twenty years revealed sig- nificantly lower survival rates for cemented implants as compared with cementless implants. The cementless tapered stem had an extremely good survival rate of 99%. Radiographs showed evidence of mild stress-shielding around 95% of the cemented stems and 88% of the cementless stems; stress-shielding of grade 3 or greater was seen around the remaining 12% of the cementless stems.
ACCESSION #
67005370

 

Related Articles

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics