Internal and external factors in child second language acquisition
- Phonological Regularities and Grammatical Gender Retrieval in Spoken Word Recognition and Word Production. Spalek, Katharina; Franck, Julie; Schriefers, Herbert; Frauenfelder, Ulrich H. // Journal of Psycholinguistic Research;Nov2008, Vol. 37 Issue 6, p419
Two experiments investigate whether native speakers of French can use a nounï¿½s phonological ending to retrieve its gender and that of a gender-marked element. In Experiment 1, participants performed a gender decision task on the nounï¿½s gender-marked determiner for auditorily presented...
- Gender-Bender Tender. Ebenkamp, Becky; Salzman, Marian // Brandweek;05/03/99, Vol. 40 Issue 18, p18
Provides information on how Europeans have classified the grammatical gender of the term euro. Declaration of the Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange on the subject; Gender of the term being used in France and Germany.
- THE ROYAL THEY. MCWHORTER, JOHN // New Republic;4/29/2013, Vol. 244 Issue 6, p9
The article looks at the use of pronouns in the English language, focusing on the application of the plural pronoun "they" to a singular subject, and notes the difficulties posed by the lack of a gender-neutral pronoun in English.
- Notes and discussions. Mathews, C.A. // Second Language Research;Oct99, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p412
Sokolik and Smith (1992) report on a connectionist model of the acquisition of French gender attribution which has been widely reported to have shown that such models are ï¿½capable of learning the gender of a large set of French nounsï¿½. These claims are examined by reference to various...
- Literacy as a gendered social practice: Tasks, texts, talk, and take-up. Orellana, Marjorie Faulst // Reading Research Quarterly;Oct-Dec95, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p674
Examines gendered aspects of literacy across multiple spaces in two bilingual classrooms within one working-class Latino community. Socio-cultural perspectives on literacy; Theorizing gender; Implications for the study of gender and literacy; Construction of literacy values; Construction of...
- Sex and gender in linguistics. Michard, Claire; Viollet, Catherine // Feminist Issues;Spring91, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p53
Knowledge is strongly affected by social forces, and the renaissance of feminism in the years 1960-1970 has created formerly nonexistent research interests. The research concerning the socioconceptual construction of sex in language was developed first in the U.S. and several years later in...
- GENDER-FREE. Dennithorne Johnston, Paul // ETC: A Review of General Semantics;Summer2000, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p160
Presents a futuristic story about the possibility of a gender-free personal pronouns. Mission of Pang Lawws and company; Information on Heimloch Satorious, a gender-free human; Concept of identity.
- Readers' Forum. Isakson, Carole Clark; Haverkamp, Jud // Bench & Bar of Minnesota;Jan2011, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p4
A letter to the editor and a response are presented in response to the article "Finding Lost Money" in the December 2010 issue.
- Semantic and Phonological Activation in Noun and Pronoun Production. Jescheniak, Jorg D.; Schriefers, Herbert; Hantsch, Ansgar // Journal of Experimental Psychology. Learning, Memory & Cognition;Jul2001, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p1058
Investigates the production of gender-marked pronouns in German to examine if lemmas access referent nouns in producing a pronoun and if so, if the noun's phonological form is also activated. Semantically related distractors; Phonologically related distractors; Utterance formats.