Your Parents' Estate Plan
- Critical planning for the closely held business. Goldsmith, Jessica Galligan // Westchester County Business Journal;5/28/2012, Vol. 48 Issue 22, p24
The article reports on the challenges facing owners of closely held family businesses in terms of succession planning to ensure that the business remains within the family which include operating agreement, transfer restrictions, and estate planning in New York.
- CHAPTER 17: Will and Trust. Cullen, Melanie; Irving, Shae // Get It Together (9781413312713);June2011, p135
The article provides an overview of the basic estate planning documents such as living trust. It discusses typical life situations aimed to help people decide on the arrangements that they would like to happen to their property and the care for young children in the event of their death to...
- Estate planning workshop. Laird, Cynthia // Bay Area Reporter;9/23/2004, Vol. 34 Issue 39, p4
Reports on the open discussion on estate planning and probate for the gay community presented by the Lighthouse Community Center in Hayward, California. Discussion about living trusts, durable power of attorney, advance health care directives, wills and probate by attorney Jerome Hadley;...
- Untitled. Blackman, Irving L. // Modern Machine Shop;Nov93, Vol. 66 Issue 6, p34
Gives advice on letting one's children be active in the family business. Ownership and control of everything; Ownership of the venture for tax purposes; Treating children fairly when transferring the business.
- 7 simple steps to a bulletproof estate plan. // Consumer Reports Money Adviser;Nov2013, Vol. 10 Issue 11, p1
The article offers personal finance information related to estate planning, as of November 2013. It notes the importance of having a will and discusses the revocable living trust as a tool to carry out certain functions of a will while avoiding probate. It discusses the designation of...
- Estate-Plan BLUNDERS. WILLIAMS, ELIZABETH // Progressive Farmer;Nov2016, Vol. 131 Issue 13, pPF-10
The article presents a list of things to keep in mind while estate planning including proper setting of will to cover all and each beneficiaries, set up a revocable living trust, and avoid unequal treatment of offspring.
- Divorce and the Family Business. Leibell, David Thayne; Daniels, Daniel L. // Trusts & Estates;Mar2013, Vol. 152 Issue 3, p44
The article discusses U.S. estate planning techniques and the impact of divorce on family business operations in the U.S. as of March 2013, focusing on several protective steps which can be taken to diminish the negative aspects of a marital dissolution in relation to a family-run business....
- The Unintended Consequences of Ownership Transfer Planning. Baron, Joshua M.; Hampton, Marion McCollom // Trusts & Estates;Mar2013, Vol. 152 Issue 3, p52
The article discusses U.S. estate planning and the reportedly unintended consequences of ownership transfer planning as of March 2013, focusing on several practical tips for attorneys and clients in regards to family business succession planning, as well as American tax and trust laws. Other...
- How to make a family business transition work. Dixon, Daniel // LP/Gas;Nov2000, Vol. 60 Issue 11, p5
Deals with the transition of family-owned businesses from one generation to another. Reasons behind the failure of family-owned businesses after its transition to the second generation; Advice on planning the business transfer.