Pregnancy and Critical Care Medicine -- Part 1I: Acute Respiratory Failure and Pregnancy
Tags: RESPIRATORY insufficiency -- Diagnosis; AIRWAY (Medicine); ARTIFICIAL respiration; CHEST (Anatomy) -- Radiography; CRITICAL care medicine; DIAGNOSIS, Differential; PREGNANCY -- Complications; RESPIRATORY insufficiency; PREGNANCY
- Reader Questions. // Pulmonology Coding Alert;Oct2011, Vol. 12 Issue 10, p70
The article presents questions and answers related to medical coding which include how to code a patient admitted to the hospital because of acute respiratory failure and suffering from myasthenia gravis and acute exacerbation, coding clinic, and billing of the code 94016 and 94060.
- The Effect Of Varying Inspiratory Flow Waveforms On Alveolar Peak Airway Pressure And Intrinsic Positive End Expiratory Pressure In Mechanically Ventilated Patients. Barrera, Rafael; Gabovich, Natalie; Sogoloff, Helen; Groeger, Jeffrey; Miodownik, Saul // Internet Journal of Pulmonary Medicine;2005, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p4
Purpose: To prospectively evaluate peak airway pressure (PaW) intrinsic PEEP (PEEPi), extrinsic PEEP (PEEPe) and peak expiratory flow rate (PEFR) with changing inspiratory flow waveforms during mechanical ventilation in patients. Material And Methods: Ten critically ill mechanically ventilated...
- Limitations of pulse oximetry: respiratory insufficiency--a failure of detection. Davidson, J.A.H.; Hosie, H.E. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/7/93, Vol. 307 Issue 6900, p372
Evaluates the limitations in the pulse oximetry procedure in the detection of acute respiratory insufficiency. Causes of respiratory insufficiency; Measurement of arterial oxygen saturation; Enhancement of borderline hypoxemia detection.
- Helium-Oxygen Mixture to Facilitate Ventilation in Patients With Bronchiolitis Obliterans Syndrome After Lung Transplantation. Kirkby, Stephen; Robertson, Michael; Evans, Laura; J Preston, Thomas; D Tobias, Joseph; E Galantowicz, Mark; T Mckee, Christopher; Hayes Jr, Don // Respiratory Care;Apr2013, Vol. 58 Issue 4, pE42
A combination of helium and oxygen (heliox) can facilitate gas exchange and limit peak inspiratory pressures through reduced resistance to gas flow and decreased turbulent flow. The combination of these gases has been used for a variety of upper and lower airway conditions, including patients...
- A successful rescue of a pregnant woman complicated with Influenza A H1N1, severe pneumonia and respiratory failure. Yongxia Bao; Yaoyao Miao; Wei Wang; Bo Qiu // HealthMed;2012, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p549
The pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus emerged since 2009, and has reached worldwide. Pulmonary complications of H1N1 influenza A severely endanger survival of pregnant women. we successfully rescued a pregnant woman complicated with influenza A/H1N1 and severe pneumonia. A 32-year-old pregnant...
- Gorham Syndrome With Postoperative Respiratory Failure and Requiring Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation. Shiang-Yu Huang; Ying-Min Lee; Shiau-Tzu Tzeng; Chiu-Ping Su; Shiu-Feng Huang; Yao-Kuang Wu; Chou-Chin Lan // Respiratory Care;Nov2013, Vol. 58 Issue 11, pe144
Gorham syndrome is a rare disease that presents as progressive osteolysis, and may affect any part of the skeleton. The pathologic process involves the replacement of normal bone by aggressively expanding but non-neoplastic vascular tissue, resulting in massive osteolysis of the adjacent bone....
- Automatic selection of breathing pattern using adaptive support ventilation. Arnal, Jean-Michel; Wysocki, Marc; Nafati, Cyril; Donati, St�phane; Granier, Isabelle; Corno, Ga�lle; Durand-Gasselin, Jacques // Intensive Care Medicine;Jan2008, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p75
In a cohort of mechanically ventilated patients to compare the automatic tidal volume ( V T)ï¿½respiratory rate (RR) combination generated by adaptive support ventilation (ASV) for various lung conditions. Prospective observational cohort study in the 11-bed medicosurgical ICU of a general...
- IMAGES IN CARDIOLOGY: Chest pain in a puerperal woman. Garc�a, C. G.; Abadal, A. C.; Ayerbe, J. L. // Heart;Sep2005, Vol. 91 Issue 9, p1202
This article presents the case study of a 42 year old woman with a previous history of high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia in her second pregnancy. She was in the seventh postpartum day of her third pregnancy when she was referred because of oppressive thoracic pain, sweating, and amaurosis...
- ARTERIAL PUNCTURE. Flenley, D.C. // British Medical Journal;7/12/1980, Vol. 281 Issue 6233, p128
Focuses on the medical procedures for the arterial puncture. Use of arterial puncture for arterial blood-gas tensions and oxygen saturation; Benefits of the arterial puncture; Significance of the procedure for accurate diagnosis of respiratory failure.