Reining in the Rich
- The income gap that isn't. Furchtgott-Roth, Diana // Across the Board;Mar1996, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p13
Focuses on the income gap between rich and poor Americans. Prevalence of married women in high-paying jobs in the labor force.
- Explaining the growing inequality in wages across skill levels. Brauer, David A.; Hickok, Susan // Economic Policy Review (19320426);Jan1995, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p61
Expounds on the nature of the growing inequality in wages across skill levels in the United States. Wage trends in the 1980s; Prominent explanations for the wage gap; Trends in the U.S. economy in the 1980s; Role of technological improvement in the wage gap.
- Soak the rich arithmetic. Somners, Paul M. // Atlantic Economic Journal;Mar1990, Vol. 18 Issue 1, Number 1 p91
Examines the feasibility of the soak-the-rich scheme in an income distribution function. Finding that the scheme which would be infeasible with incentive problems might be feasible without incentive problems.
- Apples, oranges, and inequality. // Wilson Quarterly;Winter93, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p138
Examines articles about income inequality in the United States. Paul Krugman in the `American Prospect,' periodical; Marvin H. Kosters in the `American Enterprise,' periodical; Isabel V. Sawhill and Mark Condon in the `Policy Bites,' periodical; Frank Levy and Richard J. Murnane in the `Journal...
- Family affairs. Harris, Catherine // Canadian Banker;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 103 Issue 2, p38
Reports on the decreased income of many families and single people in Canada. Comparison of disposable income in the 1990s with the mid-1980s; Average incomes for families and unattached individuals; Families with the highest incomes.
- Is the gender earnings gap shrinking? // Fairfield County Business Journal;8/19/96, Vol. 35 Issue 34, p20
Reports on the declining income gap between men and women in the United States. Improvement of women's economic standing; Increase in number of men earning low wages.
- Recent developments in the distribution of income in... Saunders, Peter // Ecodate;Sep96, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p6
Presents information for Australian high school children on the distribution of income in Australia and it's effect on the Australian economy. Information on income inequality in Australia; Comparison of Australia's income distribution to international standards; Student activities based on...
- John Lloyd. Lloyd, John // New Statesman;8/2/96, Vol. 125 Issue 4295, p29
Focuses on the possible implications of income disparity in Great Britain for its population. Comparison with other industrialized nations; Institutional disaster of socialism; Two kinds of widening inequality; Largest antidote to poverty; Political pitch that can appeal to a majority of people.
- Buying power. // Education Week;1/25/95, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p4
Presents a graph illustrating the earning power of education in the United States. Figures from the U.S. Census Bureau; Increase in the value of higher education.
- Mr. Galbraith's principle. Galbraith, John Kenneth // Across the Board;Jun97, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p14
Presents an affirmative public action in accomplishing a more equitable income distribution. Most effective instrument for achieving a greater measure of income equality; Effects of a strongly progressive income tax to the rich and affluent people; Basic need in accomplishing a more equitable...