A Special Feast
- An extra potato from the bin: The feds plea for a rain dance. Ruckman, S. E. // Native American Times;8/17/2012, Vol. 18 Issue 32, p5
The author discusses the impact of the U.S. drought in 2012 on tribal nations, commenting on food deserts, U.S. government allocation of federal resources, and subsidized surplus goods.
- WILD OATS. Foster, Steven // Peterson Field Guide to Western Medicinal Plants & Herbs;2002, p384
This article presents therapeutic information on the Western medicinal plant wild oats. The plant belongs to the grass family. It is commonly found in disturbed sites, roadsides and fields. It is widespread across the U.S. The fruits of the plant were eaten as an energy source for breakfast by...
- Good Nutrition Prepares Native American Adolescents for the Future: NativeVision 2014. Munch, Douglas F. // AMAA Journal;Fall2014, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p8
The article discusses the NativeVision 2014 program which focuses on the promotion of good nutrition among the Native American population. Topics discussed include an overview of studies conducted by researchers on obesity rate of Native American population, the "Feast for the Future" program...
- Tribes, pueblos object to lack of consultation in Food Stamp changes. KEANE, COLLEEN // Navajo Times;9/4/2014, Vol. 53 Issue 36, pA-9
The article reports on Native American tribal leaders' criticism of New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez for not engaging them in consultations about proposed rule changes in the state's Food Stamp program called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- Weight control and exercise are the best defense against diabetes. Volain, Naomi // Environmental Nutrition;Nov92, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p1
Part III. Reports on one of the leading causes of death in the United States, diabetes. Insulin dependent diabetes; Adult-onset diabetes; Causes of adult-onset diabetes; Warning signs; Prevention and treatment; Diet; Exercise. INSET: A diet for diabetics..
- Can Easter candy cause diabetes? Grosnoff, Kathryn Neil // Executive Health's Good Health Report;Apr93, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p7
Examines the causes of diabetes. Definition; Type I as a juvenile or insulin dependent diabetes; Type II as a mature onset or insulin dependent diabetics; Eating candies' effect on the blood sugar; Eating complex carbohydrates' effect on blood sugar resembling a plateau; Amount of fat in the...
- How to avoid adult onset diabetes. Schardt, David; Schmidt, Stephen // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Sep96, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p3
Offers advice on avoiding adult-onset diabetes. Weight-loss and exercise as first defense; Insulin resistance; Symptoms of diabetes; Study by the National Institutes of Health (NIH); Chromium, antioxidants and diet.
- Losing weight can ward off Type II diabetes. // RN;Dec92, Vol. 55 Issue 12, p81
Cites the results of a long-term study linking weight loss with diabetes prevention. Weight loss preventing progression of impaired glucose tolerance to non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus: Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association, San Antonio, Texas.
- The FDA wants to block you from diabetes reliever. Whitaker, Julian // Human Events;12/25/93, Vol. 53 Issue 52, p8
Discusses the possible cure for diabetes. Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) as diabetes reliever; British study as basis; Federal Drug Administration's policy on GLA; Recommendations to diabetic.