When Native Foods Were Left Behind
- This Is the Nation's Heart-String. Smithers, Gregory D. // Wicazo Sa Review;Fall2015, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p28
An essay is presented about the formal education of the tribe Cherokee Nation in the U.S. in the 19th century. It focuses on the educational institutions attended by tribe members in Indian Territory, at the North Carolina Cherokees' Qualla Reservation, and at the Sherman Institute in...
- Education beyond the Mesas: Hopi Students at Sherman Institute, 1902-1929. Warren, Kim Cary // Journal of American Ethnic History;Spring2013, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p111
The article reviews the book "Education Beyond the Mesas: Hopi Students at Sherman Institute, 1902-1929," by Matthew Sakiestewa Gilbert.
- The Indian School on Magnolia Avenue: Voices and Images from Sherman Institute. SHREVE, BRADLEY // Western Historical Quarterly;Winter2013, Vol. 44 Issue 4, p475
The article reviews the book "The Indian School on Magnolia Avenue: Voices and Images from Sherman Institute," edited by Clifford E. Trafzer, Matthew Sakiestewa Gilbert, and Lorene Sisquoc.
- America's top boarding schools. Biggs, Melissa E.; Psillos, Demetrios // Town & Country;Aug96, Vol. 150 Issue 5195, p89
Focuses on the top boarding schools of the United States. Tradition of academic excellence; Ability to attract the highest caliber students; Alignment of school's culture and values with those of the families; Includes Brooks School in North Andover, Massachusetts; Cate School in Carpinteria,...
- Visit by video. // Independent School;Fall91, Vol. 51 Issue 1, The Reporter p7
Reports on the introduction of the consumer service Visit by Video at the 1992 `Boarding Schools Directory.' Video presentations of different boarding schools.
- In the news: Five-day boarding programs. // Independent School;Winter93, Vol. 52 Issue 2, The Reporter p2
Discusses the growth of five-day boarding programs as a new trend in boarding schools in the United States. Survey conducted by the Association of Boarding Schools; Reasons cited by the schools for offering a weekday-only boarding program.
- TABS Residence Life Workshop. // Independent School;Winter96, Vol. 55 Issue 2, The Reporter p5
Reports that The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS) will sponsor its first Residence Life Workshop on August 15 to 18, 1996, at Portsmouth Abby School, Rhode Island. Discussion of issues on boarding life.
- A parent's primer. Weiner, Kate Johanna // Town & Country;Aug96, Vol. 150 Issue 5195, p92
Presents guidelines for parents planning to send a child to a boarding school. Familiarizing of parent and child with demands and requirements of boarding school; Exposure to the Secondary School Admissions Test (SSAT); Touring of the school; Child's display of poise and maturity during the...
- All Aboard. Fleming, Alexandra Rockey // Insight on the News;11/12/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 42, p29
Looks at the efforts of boarding schools in the United States to broaden their base and diversify their student bodies. Cost of education in boarding schools; Scholarship grants boarding schools offer to families; Description of the boarding schools; Safety of children in boarding schools.