Applications of Andragogy in Multi-Disciplined Teaching and Learning
- Self Directed Learning. DeMauro, Kristofer // Fire Engineering;Feb2008, Vol. 161 Issue 2, p20
The article offers instructions for firefighting company officers on how to develop a self-directed training program for training firefighters. This training method emphasizes hands-on experience and is tailored to the individual learner or group. The importance of learner motivation is noted,...
- Student-Centered Course Design: Empowering Students to Become Self-Directed Learners. Hains, Bryan J.; Smith, Brittany // Journal of Experiential Education;2012, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p357
With the recent promotion of learner-centered philosophies, educators are beginning to accept the idea that learning is a constructive process. But this philosophical shift has been met with some resistance from both students and faculty. This case study examines the development of a...
- Learning in extremis. WILLIAMSON, BILL // Adults Learning;Oct98, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p23
Considers a class of human experiences which are characterized as extreme adult learning. Theoretical background; Situations confronting the human race; History of prison education.
- DEVELOPING BASIC SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE. Sargent, Alice G. // Training & Development Journal;May79, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p72
Outlines an experiential model of adult learning. Components of the model; Interpersonal competencies required of adult learners; Opportunities for adult learning; Practical applications of the model.
- How Adults Learn. // Whip;Aug2011, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p12
The article presents six assumptions of adult learning based on the theory of Malcolm Knowles who is a major influence in adult education.
- Early Childhood Educators as Learners: Engaging Approaches for Professional Development. Koralek, Derry // YC: Young Children;Jul2007, Vol. 62 Issue 4, p10
The article discusses the characteristics of adults as learners according to Malcolm Knowles, the well-known adult-learning theorist. It is said that adults are self-directed, they want to take responsibility for and make choices about their learning. According to the author, adults learn best...
- Experiential LEARNING. Birchfield, Reg // New Zealand Management;May2010, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p26
The article reviews the relevance of experiential learning to management. Henry Mintzberg, a management professor at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, advocates management by reflection and promotes self-directed learning. The New Zealand Institute of Management also delivers its learning...
- Self-Directed Learning and Higher Education Practices: Implications for Student Performance and Engagement. Francis, Alisha; Flanigan, Abraham // MountainRise;Fall2012, Vol. 7 Issue 3, Special section p1
Self-directed learning (SDL) is associated with a number of characteristics which are emphasized within the higher education curriculum. There is some question, however, regarding the degree to which higher education is compatible with SDL. We consider that question based on data from 188...
- A reminder about andragogy. Weingand, Darlene E. // Journal of Education for Library & Information Science;Winter96, Vol. 37 Issue 1, p79
Discusses the concepts of andragogy as developed by Malcolm Knowles, relating adult teaching in the graduate programs. Description of the adult learner; Effective program design of education.