Patterns, trends and sex differences in HIV/AIDS reported mortality in Latin American countries: 1996-2007
- Cancer Risk of Anti-TNF-Î± at Recommended Doses in Adult Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Meta-Analysis with Intention to Treat and per Protocol Analyses. Moulis, Guillaume; Sommet, Agnès; Béné, Johana; Montastruc, François; Sailler, Laurent; Montastruc, Jean-Louis; Lapeyre-Mestre, Maryse // PLoS ONE;Nov2012, Vol. 7 Issue 11, Special section p1
Background:The risk of malignancies on TNF-Î± antagonists is controversial. The aim of this survey was to assess cancer risk on TNF-Î± antagonists in adult rheumatoid arthritis patients, including the five marketed drugs (infliximab, etanercept, adalimumab, golimumab and certolizumab) used...
- Drug resistance increased risk for virologic failure with first-line ART. DeNyse, Ashley // Infectious Disease News;May2011, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p28
The article reports on the association between low-frequency HIV-1 drug resistance and an increased risk for first-line antiretroviral treatment failure, according to a study by Doctor Jonathan Z. Li and colleagues, published in a 2011 issue of the "Journal of the American Medical Association."
- Aviremia 10 Years Postdiscontinuation of Antiretroviral Therapy Initiated During Primary Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 Infection and Association With Gag-Specific T-Cell Responses. Kinloch-de Loes, Sabine; Dorrell, Lucy; Hongbing Yang; Hardy, Gareth A. D.; Yerly, Sabine; Cellerai, Cristina; Vandekerckhove, Linos; De Spielgelaere, Ward; Malatinkova, Eva; Willie Wee Lee Koh; Johnson, Margaret A. // Open Forum Infectious Diseases;Fall2015, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p1
Combination antiretroviral therapy during primary human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection may enable long-term drug-free virological control in rare individuals. We describe a female who maintained aviremia and a normal CD4+/CD8+ T cell ratio for 10 years after stopping therapy, despite a...
- Intensifying Antiretroviral Therapy With Raltegravir and Maraviroc During Early Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection Does Not Accelerate HIV Reservoir Reduction. Ostrowski, Mario; Benko, Erika; Feng Yun Yue; Kim, Connie J.; Huibner, Sanja; Lee, Terry; Singer, Joel; Pankovich, Jim; Laeyendecker, Oliver; Kaul, Rupert; Kandel, Gabor; Kovacs, Colin // Open Forum Infectious Diseases;Fall2015, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p1
Background. Persistent human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) within the CD4+ T-cell reservoir is an obstacle to eradication. We hypothesized that adding raltegravir and maraviroc to standard combination antiretroviral therapy (cART) during early HIV infection could substantially reduce viral...
- Socioeconomic Status and Survival of People with Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection before and after the Introduction of Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy: A Systematic Literature Review. Pavlova-McCalla, Elena; Trepka, Mary Jo; Ramirez, Gilbert; Niyonsenga, Theophile // Journal of AIDS & Clinical Research;2012, Vol. 3 Issue 6, Special section p1
Background: Human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency disease syndrome-associated mortality contributes considerably to overall mortality rates among adults in the United States. The purpose of this review is to systematically examine conceptual approaches that have been used to...
- Course and Clinical Significance of CD8+ T-Cell Counts in a Large Cohort of HIV-Infected Individuals. Helleberg, Marie; Kronborg, Gitte; Ullum, Henrik; Ryder, Lars P.; Obel, Niels; Gerstoft, Jan // Journal of Infectious Diseases;6/1/2015, Vol. 211 Issue 11, p1726
Objectives. To examine trajectories of CD8+ T-cell counts before and after combination antiretroviral therapy (cART) in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected individuals and associations with mortality. Methods. CD8+ T-cell counts were measured in 3882 HIV-infected individuals who received...
- One step back in HIV cure, but many paths forward. PELLER, JOHN // Windy City Times;7/16/2014, Vol. 29 Issue 42, p12
The author discusses the importance of investment in HIV cure research by citing the reference of a Mississippi child, who has again shown the signs of HIV infection following a treatment of anti-retroviral drugs and also mentions the requirement of Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis for gay men.
- IN INDIA, MORE GIRLS THAN BOYS DIE DURING INFANCY. // International Family Planning Perspectives;Sep2003, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p104
Presents an abstract of the article 'Community based retrospective study of sex in infant mortality in India,' by R.Khanna et al, published in a 2003 issue of the 'British Medical Journal.'
- HIV mortality due to comorbidity, factors unrelated to HIV disease. // Infectious Disease News;Aug2011, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p7
The article discusses research on the factors that lead to HIV mortality such as comorbidity, by N. Lohse and colleagues, published in the "Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes."