Massively multiplayer online role-playing games: comparing characteristics of addict vs non-addict online recruited gamers in a French adult population
- Dopamine signals for reward value and risk: basic and recent data. Schultz, Wolfram // Behavioral & Brain Functions;2010, Vol. 6, p24
Background: Previous lesion, electrical self-stimulation and drug addiction studies suggest that the midbrain dopamine systems are parts of the reward system of the brain. This review provides an updated overview about the basic signals of dopamine neurons to environmental stimuli. Methods: The...
- Online Cravings. Sun, Carolyn // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);10/24/2011 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 158 Issue 17, p6
The article discusses the problem of gaming addiction in South Korea. It cites several cases including a 21-year old gaming addict who was found dead after complaining of breathing problems due to severe lack of sleep in July 2011, and a 28-year old man who died of organ failure in 2005 after...
- Teenage Wasteland. Deer, Jessica // Eastern Door;11/26/2010, Vol. 19 Issue 46, p13
The article offers the author's view regarding the negative effect of being addicted to online games like Farmville and iPhone application Smurfs.
- From the bench to the bedside: Medulloblastoma subtypes, cholinergic neuron function in the nucleus accumbens, and mechanisms of chronic neuropathic pain. Hauptman, Jason S. // Surgical Neurology International;2011, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p68
The article presents several medical studies analyzing the several medical phenomena including, various subtypes of medulloblastomas, and the significance of cholinergic neuron in the nucleus accumbens. It is reported that, medulloblastomas tumors are composed of groups of tumors with different...
- Clinical Research in Australia. Firkin, Barry G. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Oct74, Vol. 81 Issue 4, p552
Focuses on the status of clinical research in Australia in October 1974. Opportunities for education and employment in medical science; Historical background on the establishment of clinical investigation and training facilities; Information on funding for medical research.
- Nattering on about names. Rakitzis, Emmanuel T. // Nature Medicine;Sep98, Vol. 4 Issue 9, p984
Comments on an editorial published in 'Nature Medicine' about molecular medicine. Medical research at the molecular level; Referral of basic research in medicine, biology, biochemistry and others as molecular medicine or biomedical research.
- Why Are Adolescents Addicted to Online Gaming? An Interview Study in Taiwan. Chin-Sheng Wan; Wen-Bin Chiou // CyberPsychology & Behavior;Dec2006, Vol. 9 Issue 6, p762
The purpose of this study was twofold: to investigate the conscious and unconscious psychological motivations of online game addicts, and to further discuss the relationship between surface and source motivations. Ten Taiwanese adolescents with online game addiction were selected for in-depth...
- Effects of a manualized short-term treatment of internet and computer game addiction (STICA): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Jï¿½ger, Susanne; Mï¿½ller, Kai W; Ruckes, Christian; Wittig, Tobias; Batra, Anil; Musalek, Michael; Mann, Karl; Wï¿½lfling, Klaus; Beutel, Manfred E. // Trials;2012, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p43
Abstract: Background: In the last few years, excessive internet use and computer gaming have increased dramatically.Salience, mood modification, tolerance, withdrawal symptoms, conflict, and relapse have been defined as diagnostic criteria for internet addiction (IA) and computer addiction (CA)...
- Off the wall. Boyce, Nell // New Scientist;04/11/98, Vol. 158 Issue 2129, p13
Reports that the National Institute of General Medical Sciences near Washington, D.C. is funding a number of unconventional scientific research projects. Hope that the risk will pay off; Various projects funded; Artificial placentresearch; How brain cells communicate.