REACTION: Commod. beef regs. return to natl. spotlight
- A calendar year for education. Flower, Ruth // Academe;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p63
Presents an overview of educational bills and policies in the United States in 1997. Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act; Budget and reconciliation act; Appropriations process.
- President Clinton's Message To Schools. // America;03/13/99, Vol. 180 Issue 8, p3
Editorial. Comments on the education program announced by United States (US) President Bill Clinton during his 1999 State of the Union address. Views on Clinton's attempts to insure favorable notice for himself from future historians; Reasons for relying on his education program; Details on...
- The Supreme Court needs you! Feldman, Ruth Tenzer // Cobblestone;Dec93, Vol. 14 Issue 10, p27
Informs on several US Supreme Court cases related to public school issues where students were required to take part in the courtroom. `Brown v. Board of Education,' 1954, on segregation; `Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District,' 1965, on children's constitutional rights to...
- Conservatives question `true goal' of Goals 2000 education guidelines. Feldmann, Linda // Christian Science Monitor;6/8/95, Vol. 87 Issue 135, p1
Reports the opposition to the federal funding under the Goals 2000 plan. Viewpoints of the supporters of the plan; Details of the provisions of the plans; Controversy over writing of national standards for teaching of US and world history; Opposition to the Goals 2000 program; Comments of...
- Opinion on Goals 2000 reforms spans the spectrum. Diegmueller, Karen // Education Week;5/25/94, Vol. 13 Issue 35, p8
Discusses school-reform initiatives stated in the Goals 2000: Educate America Act in a session sponsored by the Brookings Institution. Comments from educators and policy-makers.
- Education still tops the list. Bell, Julie Davis // State Legislatures;Jan98, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p34
Predicts the domination of education-related issues in state legislatures' agendas in the United States in 1998. Includes issue on education funding and finance; States' development of education assessments and accountability policy; Quality and condition of the teaching corps.
- State Education Reform. // Congressional Digest;Jan1994, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p6
Focuses on education reform legislation in various states. Adoption of results-oriented approach; Participation in the New Standards Project; States that passed legislation in 1993 relating to standards, goals, performance-based or outcomes-based performance; Systemic reform legislation; Charter...
- Recent Action in the Congress. // Congressional Digest;Jan1994, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p15
Focuses on Congress's approval of President Bill Clinton's proposed Goals 2000; Educate America Act. Previous legislation on national education reform; Major provisions of the measure; Representative Richard K. Armey's proposed substitute to Goals 2000; Amendments to the legislation.
- Should the House Pass the Goals 2000: Educate America Act? PRO. // Congressional Digest;Jan1994, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p16
Presents arguments of those who are in favor of the House's passage of the Goals 2000: Educate America Act. Representative Dale E. Kildee; Representative Tom Sawyer; Representative Karan English; Representative Vic Fazio; Representative William J. Hughes; Representative Major R. Owens;...