IN WESTWOOD, CALIF.: School breakfast program is a community affair
- Families and Living Arrangements: 2014. S. D. S. // Education Week;2/4/2015, Vol. 34 Issue 20, p5
The article covers "Families and Living Arrangements: 2014," a study from the U.S. Census Bureau which found that the number of children under the age of 18 who receive federal food assistance such as food stamps has doubled since 2007.
- It takes a community to close the gap. Carsten, Sandra // Leadership;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p7
This article focuses on statistics of poor children in immigrant families. Three quarters of those poor children live in immigrant families, according to the advocacy group Children Now. This is significant because children in immigrant families "are less likely than those in native families to...
- DIANNA THOMAS. Hainer, Michelle // Good Housekeeping;Oct2015, Vol. 261 Issue 4, p80
The article focuses on the efforts of Dianna Thomas of nonprofit organization Thomas Promise Foundation, which strives to provide food services to underprivileged children of 19 schools of Pasco County in Florida, by distributing food bags with items including fruit cups and macaroni & cheese.
- Be a Santa sweetie. Kershaw, Leah // Girls' Life;Dec2005, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p20
The article suggests teenage girls on how to help poor children in the holiday season. It would be good to donate woolen clothes for the winter season. Donating goods is great but, for a more personal experience, one can donate one's own time instead. Teenagers can also group and spend time in...
- HK asks, who is that masked woman? // Asian Pacific Post;6/2/2011, p17
This article focuses on the mysterious identity of a self-styled woman in a mask who has been giving cash and food in the poorest districts of Hong Kong, China.
- IN BRIEF. // Wentzville Journal;11/16/2011, Vol. 49 Issue 81, pA2
The article presents news briefs relating to community life in Missouri including the acceptance of candidates for the University of Missouri Extension Council in Saint Charles County in January 2012, the launch of Tri-County Family YMCA's annual 2012 YMCA Strong Community Campaign, and the...
- Holy Cross donates more than 1,000 food items. // Collinsville Herald;12/21/2011, Vol. 53 Issue 51, pB3
The article reports on the 1,391 food items donated by the Holy Cross Lutheran School to the Collinsville Area Ministerial Association Food Bank in Collinsville, Illinois in 2011.
- Food pantry sees supplies dwindle. Castile, Raymond // St. Charles Journal;12/7/2011, Vol. 46 Issue 84, pB3
The article highlights the call of Sts. Joachim and Ann Care Service to communities to help maintain its pantry shelves stocked through locally organized food drives, which will be used to feed 1,712 people in 528 families.
- LOCAL NEWS AND EVENTS. // Collinsville Herald;10/19/2011, Vol. 53 Issue 42, pB6
This section offers community-related news briefs in Illinois, including food collection and donation in the fourth annual Bank To Bank Food Drive, FCB Troy Bank's third Annual Partners 4 Pets Howl-o-ween Pet Party Dog Costume Contest and the Christmas in November event by the Madison County...