IN RHODE ISLAND DISTRICTS: School lunch exemption sought
- Chinese fruit purchases get district in hot water. Buzalka, Mike // Food Management Exclusive Insight;11/16/2015, p1
The article reports the Sacramento City Unified School District in California importing large amounts of canned fruits from China which was against the norms of Buy American provision of the National School Lunch Act, requiring schools to use domestically produced unless available domestically.
- The truth behind my school lunch opt-out bill: SB 1061. Crandall, Rich // Inside Tucson Business;2/10/2012, Vol. 21 Issue 37, Special section p21
The author discusses the aspects of Senate Bill (SB) 1061, a school lunch opt-out bill in the U.S. The author says that SB 1061 supporters and opponents disagree with capacity of constituents and local communities to take charge of the children. He believes that the bill may prevent hunger for...
- Schools Respond to Federal 'Wellness' Requirement. Samuels, Christina A. // Education Week;6/14/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 40, p19
This article reports that according to a federal law, school districts in the U.S. must design and implement wellness policies by the start of the 2006-07 school year. The Child Nutrition Act imposed new requirements on federally funded schools for their lunches and breakfasts. The legislation...
- REP SEEKS COMPETITIVE FOODS REG. // FoodService Director;10/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p16
Reports on a legislative bill introduced by Representative Lynn Woolsey (D.-Calif.) regarding the regulation of competitive foods under the National School Lunch Program in the U.S. Provisions of the bill concerning the allocation of grants for schools that provide nutritious cafeteria meals.
- House Panel Passes Surplus-Food Bill. // Education Week;3/23/1983, Vol. 2 Issue 26, p2
The article reports that the House Education and Labor Committee has approved a bill that will provide additional food for the school-lunch program in the U.S. The surplus-food bill, H R 1513, is similar to a legislation approved by the Senate Agriculture Committee that requires the Department...
- THE LISTENING POST. // Educational Leadership;Jan1945, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p174
The article presents a discussion related to the problem of enacting sound and dependable federal school lunch legislation in the U.S. It is important that school people be informed and take action to obtain school lunch legislation which will provide adequate financial support to schools and...
- UNDERSCORINGS. A. P. F. // America;3/9/1946, Vol. 74 Issue 23, p587
A summary is presented of the bill H. R. 3370, the National School Lunch Bill, past by the House to the Senate in the U.S.
- School lunches torpedoed. Ferner, Mike // Commonweal;3/24/95, Vol. 122 Issue 6, p4
Comments on the vote of a House committee to curtail the federal entitlement for school lunches in the United States. Debate on welfare reform; Protection for the children.
- Lunch lightens up. Madigan, Dominic // Vegetarian Times;Mar94, Issue 199, p19
Reports on Senator Patrick Leahey's proposed legislation calling for improvement school lunch programs. Avoidance of a health crisis; Need to meet federal nutrition guidelines; Key provisions of the act.