Clinical: Clinical Review - Obesity
- Over half UK population obese by 2050. // Food Engineering & Ingredients;Nov2007, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p39
The article presents information on the estimated increase of the obese population in Great Britain. The British Government Office for Science project entitled, "Tackling Obesities: Future Choices," has predicted the possible increase of obese population by 2050. The project states that there...
- Why We're Losing the War Against Obesity. Witt, Louise // American Demographics;Dec2003/Jan2004, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p26
Focuses on the obesity problem in the U.S. Prevalence of obesity among children and adolescents; Efforts of the U.S. government to address the obesity problem; Information on the medical costs attributed to diseases caused by obesity.
- Obesity: diagnosis and prescription for action in the English-speaking Caribbean. Fraser, Henry S. // Revista Panamericana de Salud P�blica;May2003, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p336
Provides information on a study which briefly outlined the dimensions of the problem of obesity in the English-speaking Caribbean. Major causes; Cost of being an obese person; Prevention of the condition.
- How to Tell a Patient She's Fat. Hellem, Amy // Review of Optometry;9/15/2005, Vol. 142 Issue 9, p29
Shares a personal account on how to discuss obesity to obese patients. Encouragement of patient to lose weight; Difficulty of physicians to establish a new relationships with patients; Need of physicians to consider the emotion of patients in telling them their obese problems.
- Obesity In Different Socioeconomic Groups. Ball, Kylie // Nutridate;Jul2010, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p2
Obesity, a condition that increases the risk of ill-health, is affecting more and more people throughout the world. The risk of obesity is not the same for everyone within the population. People who are socio-economically disadvantaged are at higher risk. This article describes this, and...
- Fit or Fat... You'd Be Surprised. Agoglia, John // Club Industry (07478283);Sep2003, Vol. 19 Issue 9, p6
Comments on the prevalence of obesity in New York City, according to a survey conducted by the New York City Health Department in September 2003. Percentage of residents who are either overweight or obese; Definition of being overweight; Obesity rate in the Bronx; Fitness clubs in the city.
- Comparison of Oscillometric and Intraarterial Systolic and Diastolic Blood Pressures in Lean, Overweight, and Obese Patients. Umana, Ernesto; Ahmed, Waqas; Fraley, Matthew A.; Alpert, Martin A. // Angiology;Jan/Feb2006, Vol. 57 Issue 1, p41
To assess the effect of obesity on blood pressure measurement the authors obtained simultaneous oscillometric and intraarterial systolic and diastolic blood pressures on 188 lean, overweight, class I/II obese, and class III obese subjects. Oscillometric arm cuff/bladder size was selected in...
- Overweight and Obese Adults: Pathology and Treatment. Barnes, Jeremy T.; Elder, Craig L.; Pujol, Thomas J. // Strength & Conditioning Journal (Allen Press);Jun2004, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p64
This 2-part column focuses on exercise recommendations and considerations for overweight and obese individuals. The first part concentrates on the pathology and treatment of the overweight or obese individual.
- How Accurate Are Systems that Evaluate Fatness in Teens? // Eating Disorders Review;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p5
Reports on the use of body mass index (BMI) for the classification of adult overweight and obesity. Limitation on the use of BMI among children; Proposal on the recommendation of a separate international classification systems to measure childhood and adolescent obesity; Purpose of the...