Report: Growth of Prison Populations Continues to Slow
- Alcatraz Island. // National Parks;May/Jun88, Vol. 62 Issue 5/6, p46
Provides information on the federal prison system in Alcatraz Island, California. Reason for the placement of a federal penitentiary in the island; Inmate population; Prison regulations; Serious violations committed by the prisoners.
- Franklin County Jail's Weekender Program. // American Jails;Jul/Aug2009, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p89
The article reports on the opening of the Weekender Incarceration Program in Franklin Country, Pennsylvania. It notes that the programs encourages offenders to report to the Franklin County Day Reporting Center (DRC) during weekends. Moreover, it mentions that the Weekender Incarceration Program...
- THE CONVICT VOLUNTEERS. Congdon Jr., Thomas B. // Saturday Evening Post;3/2/1963, Vol. 236 Issue 8, p62
Comments on the issues concerning the use of inmates in the Holmesburg Prison in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as subjects in the scientific research of researchers. Reason of inmates for volunteering as subject; Average wage of volunteers; Health effect of experimental diets on inmates.
- LIFE BEYOND BARS. Chasteen, Stephanie // Science & Spirit;Sep/Oct2004, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p24
Focuses on the release of more than 600,000 inmates from prison in the U.S. Progams for the prisoners that will be released.
- PRISONERS NO MORE: STATE INVESTMENT RELOCATION INCENTIVES AND THE PRISONERS' DILEMNA. Petrov, Daniel P. // Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law;Winter2001, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p71
Focuses on the dilemma over the state investment relocation incentives for prisoners in the United States. Background of investment relocation incentives; Effects of investment relocation incentives; Benefits of incentives.
- What to look for when contracting for beds. Brown, Stanley D. // Corrections Today;Feb96, Vol. 58 Issue 1, p44
Reports that an increase in Missouri's inmate population has lead to a need for beds at existing facilities. How the Missouri Department of Corrections responded to the need; Options pursued by the state; Reports from the Texas Department of Criminal justice; Precautions when contracting for beds.
- Prison Industries: A New Look at an Old Idea. Gondles Jr., James A. // Corrections Today;Oct99, Vol. 61 Issue 6, p6
Editorial. Stresses the importance of prison and jail industry work programs. Four reasons for making inmates work; History of prison work in the United States; Assertion that the mission statement of the Virginia Correctional Enterprises is one of the best descriptions of the goal of prison...
- TRANSFORMATION DU MONDE PENITENTIAIRE ET DYNAMIQUES DE FORMATIONS. Leroy, Jo�l // Convergence;2009, Vol. 42 Issue 2-4, p225
Legal, social or organisational transformations experienced daily for many years at Belgian prisons affect both inmate population and the employees who work there. These mutations unavoidably entail individual and/or collective reactions. The training of the staff plays a significant rï¿½le...
- SAVING $1 MILLION: L.A. JAIL MAKES B'FAST SWITCH. // FoodService Director;6/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p1
Reports on the decision of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department in California to reduce food costs per inmate day by replacing hot breakfast items with cold ones. Reason for the decision of the department; Savings of the department from the budget cut; Statement from Alice Scott, a...