What to Watch for at Carriage Election Time
- U-Verse TV Spans 100K Subs. Spangler, Todd // Multichannel News;9/10/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 36, p11
The article reports on the rise in the number of subscribers of U-verse TV cable television network. AT&T Corp. has claimed that it has doubled the number of the channel's subscribers. The cable network has now more than 100,000 subscribers. The services of the network are available to nearly...
- Cable Industry Looks To Dump CableCARD. Wolpin, Stewart // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;1/30/2006, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p34
This article considers the possible impact of the complete deployment of the Open Cable Applications Platform (OCAP) on the use of CableCARD as the key to secure access to cable programming in the U.S. With OCAP, cable subscribers would download their security and conditional access codes using...
- At press time. // Electronic Media;05/03/99, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p1
Reports developments in the television industry in the United States as of May 1999. Includes subscription rate hike by ESPN; Revelation of the WIS-TV source; Supreme Court order on the turn over of unbroadcast video of riots at Michigan State University.
- Military Channel Wins Initial Ratings Battle. Harper, Jennifer // Insight on the News;01/11/99, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p37
Provides information on the Military Channel cable network launched by Vietnam veterans in the United States. Stars seen in the network; Potential viewers of the network; Kind of shows broadcast on the network.
- Will NUE ever be on TV? McAdams, Deborah D. // Broadcasting & Cable;01/15/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 3, p104
Reports the difficulties faced by New Urban Entertainment (NUE), a black general entertainment network, in the United States. Scarcity of funds; Expression of acquisition interest by Sony Corp., Time Warner Inc. and NBC Inc.; Reduction of company production.
- On air: Oxygen launches. Bernstein, Paula // Daily Variety;02/02/2000, Vol. 266 Issue 44, p1
Reports on the launching of Geraldine Laybourne's women-oriented cable network Oxygen on February 2, 2000. Number of possible households in the United States that can tune in to the network; Advertisers; Focus on the convergence between television and the Internet.
- High-flying low-brow TV. Burgi, Michael // MediaWeek;9/6/93, Vol. 3 Issue 36, p9
Features the cable television network USA Network. United States Open-related revenues for 1993; Network as low-brow in primetime programming; Entry into the original movie business in 1988; `USA World Premiere Movies' segment; Airing of films from corporate parents, Paramount and MCA;...
- USA Networks spending money to grow. Mermigas, Diane // Electronic Media;01/18/99, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p3
Reports on USA Networks' plan to accelerate spending on original programs for cable, the CityVision transformation of its television stations and Internet-related businesses in 1999. Company's decision to use its free cash flow from core businesses to expand its operations; Estimated amount the...
- Women's Space Opens up. Consoli, John // Broadcasting & Cable;5/2/2011, Vol. 141 Issue 18, p10
The article focuses on the condition of the female-focused cable television networks in the U.S.