Pakistan a "polio reservoir"
- Japan extends grant aid of US$ 1.35 million to the Federal Republic of Somalia in response to polio outbreak. // African Business News;8/ 5/2013, p20
The article offers information on the decision made by the government of Japan for extension of emergency grand aid to support the polio outbreak response in Somalia. It mentions that this process will take place through the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and was confirmed by government...
- Largest-ever vaccination campaign underway to stop polio in Middle East. // Infectious Diseases in Children;Dec2013, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p4
The article reports on a vaccination campaign being undertaken by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the UNICEF to eliminate the prevalence of polio in the Middle East nations including Syria, Egypt and Iraq as of December 2013, and presents the views of UNICEF's Peter Crowley on the issue.
- The Canadian International Immunization Initiative. // Canadian Journal of Public Health;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 94 Issue 1, special section p3
Reports on the participation of the Canadian technical consultants to the Canadian International Immunization Initiative to eradicate poliomyelitis. Enhancement of the national immunization system by the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund; Element of the initiative; Details...
- Amitabh Bachchan To Be Honored for Polio Work. // India -- West;4/20/2012, Vol. 37 Issue 22, pC22
The article presents information on the actor Amitabh Bachchan who will be honored by the organization United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund for his contribution to the fight against polio.
- Stop the fighting to save the children. // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Dec99, Vol. 71 Issue 12, p67
Reports on the negotiation for truces in warring countries undertaken by the World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Children's Fund so that health workers can immunize children against polio. Aim of WHO; Countries where the immunizations were held.
- Polio campaigns defy hurdles. // Nation's Health;Oct99, Vol. 29 Issue 9, p11
Reports on the efforts of the World Health Organization and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) in vaccinating children from war-torn countries against polio. Number of children that have been vaccinated in the Democratic Republic of Congo; Information on the volunteers that have been...
- Claudia Cares! Cohen, Marisa // Glamour;Nov2000, Vol. 98 Issue 11, p186
Interviews Claudia Schiffer, an ambassador to the United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef), about her efforts in raising funds for polio prevention and eradication. Her childhood memory of collecting pennies for the organization; Reason for focusing on polio; Lessons learned from the efforts.
- Health officials struggle to quell polio outbreak in Middle East. Powell, Keith R. // Infectious Diseases in Children;Dec2013, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p6
The author reflects on the initiatives, particularly vaccination campaigns, being undertaken by the health officials, the UNICEF and the World Health Organization (WHO) to eradicate the outbreak of polio in various Middle East nations including Syria, Pakistan and Sudan as of December 2013.
- Defeating Disease Despite Devastation. Vastag, Brian // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;12/12/2001, Vol. 286 Issue 22, p2799
Reports on a polio vaccination program in Afghanistan run by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). Quick dispersal of the vaccines; How the immunizations were given during a time of imminent war; Outlook for eradication of the disease in the region.