D.C. Hopes to Benefit From Tax Bill Now in Congress
- Norton introduces alcohol equalization act. // Alcoholism Report;May94, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p5
Presents comments from Representative Eleanor Holmes Norton on May 10, 1994 as she introduced H.R. 4376, the Tax Equalization Act. The bill would increse taxes on beer and wine, based on their actual alcohol content until they are equivalent to the taxes on liquor.
- Democrats defeat critical tax-limitation amendment. // Human Events;4/26/96, Vol. 52 Issue 16, p1
Reports on House Democrats vote against tax-limitation provision from the 1995 Balanced Budget Amendment. Republicans' support for tax reduction as an propeller for growth; Eleanor Holmes Norton's introduction of a bill to reverse the decline of the District of Columbia's tax base; Remarks from...
- D.C. Political Roundup. Wright, James // Washington Informer;7/12/2012, Vol. 47 Issue 39, p5
The article discusses about the chances of reelection of Eleanor Holmes Norton, delegate to the United States Congress, and District of Columbia Young Democrats (DCYD) training and registering young democrats.
- Capital Offense. Dizard, John // National Review;7/15/1996, Vol. 48 Issue 13, p34
The article focuses on the dilapidated condition of Washington D.C. The control board, responsible for running the city, is trying to address the problems of fraud and mismanagement but they are not in a position to revive the city. Most of the residents of Washington are opposed to the reforms...
- NOTEBOOK. // New Republic;8/05/96, Vol. 215 Issue 6, p8
Comments on various issues and events related to society and politics in the U.S. as of August 5, 1996. Issue of tax rate increase under the administration of U.S. President Bill Clinton; Appointment of Professor Thomas Bird as director of Jewish Studies at Queens College in New York; Plan of...
- Delegate says feds should pick up more of DC's Medicaid tab. Viebeck, Elise // Hill;3/20/2013, Vol. 20 Issue 33, p14
The article reports on the new measure proposed by Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton which will allow a five-percent increase the contribution of the federal government to Medicaid in Washington, D.C.
- Norton: District got an extra $125 million in budget talks. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;10/19/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30502, p4
Focuses on the additional federal budget allocated to Washington, D.C. according to congressional delegate Eleanor Norton. Distribution of the additional fund for the city's projects; Elimination of social policy provisions under the budget.
- Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton Introduces Ron Brown Tort Bill. // Jet;05/03/99, Vol. 95 Issue 22, p40
Reports that United States Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton and other legislators have re-introduced the Ron Brown Tort Equality Act of 1999, marking the third anniversary of the crash in Croatia of the military jet carrying Commerce Secretary Ron Brown.
- Firebrand: Congresswoman Norton. Purnell, John // Advocate;6/16/92, Issue 605, p69
Profiles Eleanor Holmes Norton, Washington D.C.'s nonvoting delegate at the House of Representatives. Personal background; Career history; Political career; Efforts of Norton to get Congress to adopt gay and lesbian issues.