An Economy With Words
- Texas: Lawyers' Largesse. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;11/13/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31264, p29
Reports on funds granted to the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas by a group of attorneys who negotiated state's multi-billion dollar tobacco settlement from cigarette companies in 1998. Several attorneys who made the donations.
- News From The Military Law Task Force. Hiken, Marti // Guild Notes;Summer2003, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p16
Presents news briefs related to National Lawyers Guild Foundation's Military Law Task Force (MLTF) in the U.S. as of June 2003. Role of MLTF; Web site of MLTF; Legal services for Stephen Funk.
- Kansas City Chapter Update. Slough, Fred // Guild Notes;Summer2003, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p17
Reports on the activities of the National Lawyers Guild Foundation Kansas City Chapter. Counseling of peace activists; Representation of civil disobedience protestors; Meetings; Contact information.
- Building bridges to Bar Associations. Wood, E. // Aging;1988, Issue 358, p2
How Bar Associations work; Special groups of lawyers; The `explosion' of the pro bono legal services movement; Pointers on the best approach; All useful hints for state and area agencies on aging.
- Ambition on trial. King, M. // Black Enterprise;Feb1990, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p132
Studies the barriers facing black law students seeking careers at major law firms nationwide. Recommendations for success; Efforts to increase the number of black lawyers; Brief profiles of some successful African-American lawyers.
- Dissolving Legal Borders. McLaughlin, Stephanie F. // Business NH Magazine;Apr2003, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p14
Reports on a New Hampshire Supreme Court decision to ease licensing restrictions for lawyers. Details of the admission-on-motion rule; regionalization of legal practice in the state; Requirement for applicants to the bar to complete a practical skills course.
- There aren't as many lawyers as you think. Krivitzky, Jerry // Central New Jersey Business;6/14/95, Vol. 8 Issue 12, p31
Presents a graph showing the distribution of the more than 28,000 lawyers in private practice in New Jersey by size of firm in which they practice. Economic pressure faced by the legal profession.
- Blacks don't share in boom at law firms: Study. // Jet;3/5/90, Vol. 77 Issue 21, p14
Reports on a study which shows the country's largest law firms have failed to recruit, retain and promote minority lawyers in large numbers. Reasons; Lack of opportunities at partnership level.
- COMINGS AND GOINGS. // Corporate Legal Times;Oct2003, Vol. 13 Issue 143, p65
Reports on developments related to appointments of lawyers and general counsels in the U.S. as of October 2003. Appointment of Cliff Whitehill-Yarza as general counsel of King Corp.; Appointment of Christopher Wilson as vice president and general counsel of Cincinnati Bell Inc.