IN THE LOOP
- Rains Boost California Retailing. Tyree, Michelle Dalton // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;12/30/2004, Vol. 188 Issue 136, p2
Reports on the effect of rains on the sales performance of several retail stores in California, as of December 2004. Background on stores which experienced sales increases, including the Barnes & Noble bookstore at The Grove shopping center in Los Angeles; Possible reasons behind the sales trend.
- Lackluster Period for B&N. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;5/22/2006, Vol. 253 Issue 21, p6
The article focuses on the sales performance of Barnes & Noble (B&N) in the U.S. in 2006. Although first-quarter earnings were in line with expectations, sales were softer than projected at the company. Comparable-store sales at B&N superstores were down 0.3% in the quarter. Chief financial...
- FINANCIALS. // Graphic Arts Industry News Digest;7/5/2011, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p15
The article reports on the business performance of Barnes & Noble Inc. which had seven billion dollars in gross sales in 2011, a twenty percent increase from 2010.
- Fewer Books: A Rescue Plan for Barnes & Noble. Kornbluth, Jesse // Publishers Weekly;2/4/2013, Vol. 260 Issue 5, p68
The article discusses the economic problems facing the book retail chain Barnes & Noble, and argues that it can improve its sales by stocking fewer books, hiring staff who are knowledgeable and passionate about books, and cultivating a more enticing and individualized retail atmosphere. The...
- From Flat to Worse at Chains. // Publishers Weekly;8/28/2006, Vol. 253 Issue 34, p3
The article reports on the decreased sales of several U.S. retailers. Borders was the last of the three bookselling chains to weigh in with its second quarter results, and its numbers managed to deepen the malaise already established. While sales at Barnes & Noble dipped 1.2% in the quarter, and...
- B&N Testing Mega Boutiques For Kids. // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;11/22/2010, Vol. 25 Issue 23, p22
The article reports on Barnes & Noble's testing of expanded kid-oriented play spaces in five of its boutiques in the U.S. that feature its Nook e-reader.
- Barnes & Noble to Shut 35% Of Its Stores in Next Decade. GRUENWEDEL, ERIK // Home Media Magazine;2/4/2013, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p4
The article reports that bookstore chain operator Barnes & Noble will be closing about 20 retail stores a year throughout the next decade.
- BN.com Sees Sales Rising 23%. // Publishers Weekly;4/23/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 17, p10
Reports on the expected sales of Barnes & Noble.com for the first quarter ended March 31, 2001. Comparison with the previous year; Speculation on the decision of the company to stop selling software and gifts through its Web site.
- The Book Says Look Online. Latchem, John // Home Media Magazine;5/11/2008, Vol. 30 Issue 19, p8
The article focuses on online retail stores. Big chains prefer to send their customers to the Internet for a full product listing. According to the article, Best Buy has the widest selection of new releases in an average week. Circuit City digital video disk (DVD) section refers their clients to...