- LIVE ISSUE/MAGAZINE DISTRIBUTION. Watts, Jenny // Campaign;09/01/2000, Issue 35, p23
Reports on supermarket giant Tesco's decision to reconsider proposals making WH Smith its sole supplier of magazines. Impact of the decision on the Periodical Publishers Association; Potential ramifications for advertisers.
- W.H Smith Sells Book Publishing Arm For $406 Million. // Book Publishing Report;8/9/2004, Vol. 29 Issue 30, p5
Reports that Great Britain-based W.H. Smith Ltd. has sold its book publishing arm, Hodder Headline PLC, to French publisher Hachette Books. Revenues generated by Hodder; Number of publishing houses and books published by Hachette.
- Lagadere Eyeing Hodder Headline. Doran, Amanda-Jane // Publishers Weekly;5/31/2004, Vol. 251 Issue 22, p17
Reports that Arnaud Lagadere, chairman of Hachette Lagadere, is interested in purchasing Hodder Headline from British book and stationary retailer WH Smith. Revenue posted by the British publishers owned by Lagadere; Takeover bid involving WH Smith.
- INTERNATIONAL NEWS. // Book Publishing Report;08/07/2000, Vol. 25 Issue 31, p8
Presents a roundup of news pertaining to the international book publishing industry, as of August 7, 2000. Recruitment of Fiona Kennedy to serve as buying manager for the books division of Tesco PLC; Plans of W.H. Smith to use the content from its Helicon and Hodder Headline publishing...
- Smith Ends Talks for AOLTWBG. // Publishers Weekly;3/31/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 13, p19
Reports on the decision of British retailer and publisher WH Smith to cancel its plan to acquire the AOL Time Warner Book Group (AOLTWBG) as of March 2003. Impact of the move on the U.S. publishing operation of WH Smith; Stand of Bertelsmann on acquisition of AOLTWBG.
- W.H. Smith Gives Book Fair Something To Buzz About. // Book Publishing Report;3/17/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 11, p4
Reports on the announcement of book publisher W.H. Smith (WHS) that it had teamed up with private equity firm Cinven Ltd. to bid on the AOL-Time Warner Book Group. Implication of the merger on WHS ; Plan of Hodder Headline Trade Publishing, a books division of WHS to distribute books in the U.S.
- Threat to independents from supply revolution. Higham, Nick // Marketing Week;8/17/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 29, p17
Focuses on WH Smith Inc. and Tesco PLC's teamup to improve magazine distribution in Great Britain. Distribution system set by WHS; Reasons of newspaper and magazine publishers for opposing WHS and Tesco's plan; Impact of the move on magazine circulation.
- Tesco deal jeopardises newsagents. Dignam, Conor // Marketing (00253650);8/10/2000, p5
Reports on the threat posed by the plans of Tesco for an exclusive national distribution deal with WH Smith to small independent newsagents in Great Britain. Possible closure faced by newsagents upon the completion of the Tesco-WH Smith deal; Details of the report entitled `The Impact of...
- INTERNATIONAL NEWS. // Book Publishing Report;2/11/2002, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p7
Presents news items related to publishers as of February 11, 2001. Plan of W.H. Smith Ltd. to bypass the returns authorization process; Change of position of Judith Elliott at Orion Children's Books; Appointment of three managers to Hodder & Stroughton's sales and marketing departments.