Unocal in Afganistan
- AMERICAN VICEROY. Anderson, Jon Lee // New Yorker;12/19/2005, Vol. 81 Issue 41, p54
The article focuses on the role and responsibilities of Zalmay Khalilzad as the U.S. Ambassador to Iraq, as of December 2005. He has played a big part in reconstructing the Iraqi government. Throughout his career as an ambassador, he has been labelled a neo-conservative and has publicly...
- Should the United Nations Security Council Approve Economic Sanctions Against Zimbabwe? // International Debates;Nov2008, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p29
This section presents an excerpt from a statement issued by Zalmay Khalilzad, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations (UN), regarding a proposed sanction against the government of Zimbabwe by the UN Security Council.
- U.S. ties with Iraqi Shi'ites deteriorating rapidly. // Geo-Strategy Direct;4/12/2006, p15
The article focuses on the deterioration of U.S. cooperation with Shi'ite politicians, particularly those in the dominant United Iraqi Alliance (UIA). The Shi'ites have accused U.S.-backed Iraqi forces of firing upon worshippers inside a Baghdad mosque. They have called for the resignation of...
- Politicians look to diffuse tension. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;3/10/2006, Vol. 50 Issue 10, p3
The article presents an update on sectarian violence in Iraq as of March 2006. In what appeared to be the latest sectarian killings, the bodies of 18 men were found bound and strangled in the Sunni-dominated Amriya district of Baghdad on March 8. U.S. ambassador to Iraq Zalmay Khalilzad on the...
- WRITE YOUR CONGRESSPERSON A LETTER. // Weekly Reader News - Senior;1/10/2003 Teacher's Guide, Vol. 81 Issue 16, p3
Presents an activity to write to a congressional representatives.
- Competing visions of Polish parliament, 1989-1993. Holc, Janine P. // East European Quarterly;Mar1995, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p69
Examines the manner in which competing visions of the identity of Polish parliament functioned between 1989 and 1993. Structure of executive-legislative relations in Poland; Institutional strategies; Presidentialist views of parliament; Rival representations of parliament.
- The paradox of representation. Schwartz, Thomas // Journal of Politics;May95, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p309
Discusses circumstances under which the lesser the legislative representation of a given constituency the better. Distributive-politics model; Challenge posed by the paradox of representation to group analysis studies; Explanation of discrepancies between public opinion and public policy; `Fair...
- Foreign power. // Legaldate;Sep99, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p8
Reports on the determination by the High Court of Australia that One Nation Senate candidate Heather Hill was ineligible to take her seat in Parliament due to her retention of her British citizenship, Great Britain being ruled as a foreign power.
- Animal farm, circa 1994. Hayward, Steven // Reason;Mar94, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p50
Focuses on the concept of stakeholder representation. Extent of usage of stakeholding; Proposals for explicit stakeholder representation; Support for the concept by President Bill Clinton; Implications for democratic representation; Process components.