- National Museum of the American Indian. Power, Susan // Harper's Bazaar;Feb95, Issue 3399, p112
Praises the treatment of Native American experience in the National Museum of the American Indian in New York City. Major role of American Indians in the development of the museum; Use of the circle concept which is significant to the Native Americans; Representation of all American Indians;...
- The Heye Center opens in Manhattan with three exhibitions of Native arts. Bruchac, Joseph // Smithsonian;Oct94, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p40
Celebrates the opening of the George Gustav Heye Center of the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) on October 30, 1994 in New York City. `Creation's Journey: Masterworks of Native American Identity and Belief'; Full involvement of Native peoples in the three sites...
- New American Indian museum opens. // Junior Scholastic;12/9/94, Vol. 97 Issue 8, p19
Reports on the opening of the National Museum of the American Indian in New York City on October 30, 1994.
- National Museum of the American Indian. // American History;Feb/Mar95, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p8
Announces the opening of the George Gustav Heye Center as the first of three facilities to comprise the Smithsonian Institute's National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) in New York City. Location in the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House; Artifacts that form the core of NMAI's...
- Of spirit and blood. Van Biema, David; Blackman, Ann // Time International (South Pacific Edition);10/31/94, Issue 44, p68
Features the exhibit of Native American artifacts at the National Museum of the American Indian in New York City. Description of the exhibit; Features of the exhibit; Issue of identity among Native Americans; Implications of the exhibit.
- Places to visit. // Cobblestone;Nov94, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p43
Lists museums featuring American Indian culture. American Indian Museum at the Fruitlands Museums, Harvard, Massachusetts; Jamestown Settlement, Williamsburg, Virginia; Woodland Culture Centre, Brantford, Ontario.
- Smithsonian perspectives. Heyman, I. Michael // Smithsonian;Jan95, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p8
Discusses the modern museum trend toward interpretive exhibitions and the challenges and opportunities it presents. Why the National Museum of the American Indian's exhibit is controversial; The new installation of first ladies' gowns at the National Museum of American History; The Enola Gay...
- Native America. // TravelAmerica;Jan/Feb99, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p57
Describes museums that showcase the fascinating cultures of Native Americans. Includes the Navajo Nation Museum in Window Rock, Arizona; Pueblo Indian Museum in Albuquerque, New Mexico; Museum of the Cherokee Indian in North Carolina; Red Earth Indian Center in Oklahoma.
- Native Americans honored. // Junior Scholastic;11/01/99, Vol. 102 Issue 6, p4
Reports on the construction of a museum for Native Americans located at the National Mall in Washington, D.C.