Commercial serological tests for tuberculosis endanger patients' lives
- Factors associated with patient, and diagnostic delays in Chinese TB patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ying Li; Ehiri, John; Shenglan Tang; Daikun Li; Yongqiao Bian; Hui Lin; Marshall, Caitlin; Jia Cao // BMC Medicine;2013, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p1
Background: Delay in seeking care is a major impediment to effective management of tuberculosis (TB) in China. To elucidate factors that underpin patient and diagnostic delays in TB management, we conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis of factors that are associated with delays in TB...
- Factors Associated with Patient and Provider Delays for Tuberculosis Diagnosis and Treatment in Asia: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Cai, Jing; Wang, Xianhua; Ma, Aiguo; Wang, Qiuzhen; Han, Xiuxia; Li, Yong // PLoS ONE;Mar2015, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p1
Background: Delays in tuberculosis (TB) diagnosis and treatment is a major barrier to effective management of the disease. Determining the factors associated with patient and provider delay of TB diagnosis and treatment in Asia may contribute to TB prevention and control. Methods: We searched...
- Need to confirm isoniazid susceptibility in Xpert MTB/RIF rifampin susceptible cases. Vadwai, Viral; Boehme, Catharina; Nabeta, Pamela; Shetty, Anjali; Rodrigues, Camilla // Indian Journal of Medical Research;Apr2012, Vol. 135 Issue 4, p560
A letter which discusses the use of the Gene Xpert Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB)/rifampin (RIF) semi-automated assay for screening MTB infection and RIF resistance is presented. The authors acknowledge the simplicity of the assay in addition to its high level of sensitivity. The endorsement...
- Contact Tracing of Tuberculosis: A Systematic Review of Transmission Modelling Studies. Begun, Matt; Newall, Anthony T.; Marks, Guy B.; Wood, James G. // PLoS ONE;Sep2013, Vol. 8 Issue 9, p1
The WHO recommended intervention of Directly Observed Treatment, Short-course (DOTS) appears to have been less successful than expected in reducing the burden of TB in some high prevalence settings. One strategy for enhancing DOTS is incorporating active case-finding through screening contacts...
- TB diagnostic process management of patients in a referral hospital in Mozambique in comparison with the 2007 WHO recommendations for the diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary TB and extrapulmonary TB. Bos, Jeannet C.; Smalbraak, Lisette; Macome, Augusto C.; Gomes, Ermelinda; van Leth, Frank; Prins, Jan M. // International Health (1876-3413);Dec2013, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p302
Background In sub-Saharan African countries, the high proportion of smear-negative pulmonary TB (SNTB) and extrapulmonary TB (EPTB) contributes to a delay in TB diagnosis and treatment. We evaluated the TB diagnostic process of adult patients with presumptive TB in a referral hospital in...
- Contact tracing: A strategy to augment tuberculosis case detection. Shrivastava, Saurabh R.; Shrivastava, Prateek S.; Ramasamy, Jegadeesh // Iranian Journal of Nursing & Midwifery Research;Sep/Oct2015, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p634
No abstract available.
- Modeling the Impact of Tuberculosis Control Strategies in Highly Endemic Overcrowded Prisons. Legrand, Judith; Sanchez, Alexandra; Pont, Francoise Le; Camacho, Luiz; Larouze, Bernard // PLoS ONE;2008, Vol. 3 Issue 5, p1
Background: Tuberculosis (TB) in prisons is a major health problem in countries of high and intermediate TB endemicity such as Brazil. For operational reasons, TB control strategies in prisons cannot be compared through population based intervention studies. Methodology/Principal Findings: A...
- Letter to the Editor, “Effect on Caries of Restricting Sugars Intake: Systematic Review to Inform WHO Guidelines”. Cottrell, R.C. // Journal of Dental Research;May2014, Vol. 93 Issue 5, p530
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Effect on Caries of Restricting Sugars Intake: Systematic Review to Inform WHO Guidelines" by P. J. Moynihan and S. A. Kelly which was published in a 2013 issue of the journal.
- Response to Letter to the Editor, “Effect on Caries of Restricting Sugars Intake: Systematic Review to Inform WHO Guidelines”. Moynihan, P.J. // Journal of Dental Research;May2014, Vol. 93 Issue 5, p531
A response from the authors of the article "Effect on Caries of Restricting Sugars Intake: Systematic Review to Inform WHO Guidelines" which was published in 2013 is presented.