A Cure for BGA's Warped Sense of Humor
- Socketing High-Density IC Packages. Pal, Ila // ECN: Electronic Component News;Jun2000, Vol. 44 Issue 7, p77
Explains how Ironwood Electronics' GHz ball grid array (BGA) sockets can be used to socket high-speed and high-density integrated circuit packages. Existing socket technologies; Design of the GHz BGA sockets; Electrical characterization; Conductive elastomer connection; Mechanical characterization.
- Tape BGAs satisfy high-end IC demands. Giesler, Mike; Schueller, Randy // Electronic Design;06/08/98, Vol. 46 Issue 14, p154
Focuses on the increase in the popularity of ball-grid array (BGA) packages. Advantages of BGA packages over other traditional integrated circuit interconnect packages; Reasons for the rising popularity of BGA; Three alternatives within the BGA family of packages.
- BGA production goals to key SMI. Levine, Bernard // Electronic News;8/28/95, Vol. 41 Issue 2080, p1
Focuses on the work toward adapting ball grid arrays (BGA) to high-volume manufacturing. The gathering for Surface Mount International in 1995; Industry technical experts who are now convinced that BGAs will play an important role in future high-density integrated circuits (IC) packages; The...
- Advanced IC packages deliver big-time profits. Konish; Gawel, Nancy // Electronic Design;12/06/99, Vol. 47 Issue 25, p39
Reports that advanced packaging systems for integrated circuits (IC) have caused substantial growth in the electronics packaging industry. Ball grid arrays; Chip-scale packaging (CSP); Flip-chip IC packaging technologies; Increasing use of advanced CSP technologies in wider applications markets.
- Pluggable sockets optimize insertion and extraction force. Pal, Ila // Connector Specifier;Jul2005, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p9
Discusses the advantages of using ball-grid-array (BGA) socketing systems. Technology and market-driven factors that affect the integrated circuit industry; Purpose of an integrated circuit socket; Information on the ball-grid-array (BGA) socketing system Giga-snaP; Results of an experiment on...
- BGA Repair for Mixed Assemblies. // Circuits Assembly;May2006, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p54
This article provides information on ball grid array (BGA) repair for mixed assemblies. BGA devices are especially sensitive to mixed solders in the rework process. Studies of BGA assembled with mixed solder technologies show successes and some areas of concern. The biggest problem arises when...
- BGA Packaging Trends in Arrays, Networks and Connectors. Hunter, Craig // SMT: Surface Mount Technology;Jun2004, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p18
Describes the development and pplications of ball grid array (BGA) packaging for the electronic and semiconductor industries. Aspects of BGA technology; Applications for on-the-chip or via in pad systems for printed circuit boards; Integration into communication systems, system design and...
- BGA Escape Routing. Voss, Bernard // Printed Circuit Design;Jun2002, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p34
Focuses on ball-grid array (BGA) packages, an integrated circuit packaging solution for very large scale integration devices. Electrical performance and lead density advantages of BGA; Discussion on differential impedance control; Factors to consider in planning for a differential BGA escape...
- TDR Detects Defects In BGA Packages. Grossman, Steve // Electronic Design;06/04/2001, Vol. 49 Issue 12, p26
Reports on how Portland, Oregon-based TDA Systems Inc. is developing a time-domain reflectometry software prototype for the detection of defects in ball-grid-array integrated circuit packages. Nondestructive method for fault location in electronic packages; Improvement of features.