Investigating Alternative Investments
- Don't invest in blind luck. Keavney, Robert // Money Management;8/16/2007, Vol. 21 Issue 30, p18
The article presents the author's views on the evolution of financial engineering and product structuring in Australia. He notes that as progress in derivatives' markets develops, complexity with different opportunities and risks are evident due to a combination of different tools, such as...
- The Rubber Meets the Road. Connelly, Thomas J. // Journal of Financial Planning;Dec1998, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p28
This article focuses on the issue concerning the failure of some investment managers to effectively manage the assets and money of their clients. By virtue of being human beings, all people will make mistakes eventually and one must be prepared to deal with them. As investment managers and...
- Tracking the Trendy. Horan, Kirby // On Wall Street;Sep2005, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p79
Provides information on retail registered investment adviser (RIA) firms. Nature of the business operations of retail RIA firms; Definition of the life planning service offered by retail RIA firms; Actions taken by retail RIA firms to extend their wealth management services.
- Planned Giving-- The Missing Link in Financial Planning. Woollen, Thomas H. // Journal of Financial Service Professionals;May2005, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p49
Financial planners don't talk much to their clients about planned giving. Yet, colleges, universities, medical facilities, libraries, museums, religious organizations, and the thousands of foundations and other charitable institutions in the United States rely on the charitable nature of their...
- LETTERS to creating wealth. Ireland, Alfred; Thomas, Stafford; Schoeman, Robert; de Klerk, Vic; Jooste, Johan; Harris, Shaun // Finance Week;11/17/2003, p49
Offers investment and financial planning advice for South Africans. Sources of information about dividend-paying shares listed on the Johanessburg Stock Exchange; Advantages of investing in JCI Convertible Debentures; Description of the Coronation Global Financial Fund.
- Assess the Downside First. Kirschner, James G. // Advisor Today;Sep2010, Vol. 105 Issue 9, p14
The article discusses the need for advisors to consider the downside or the worst scenario when making investment recommendations. An investment must fall under the acceptable risk category of the clients before it is being considered and the advisors' responsibility involves reviewing and...
- How to Choose: A Financial Planner. // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;May2005, Vol. 75 Issue 5, p84
Offers advice on choosing a financial planner. Reasons for hiring a financial planner; Services offered; Selection of candidates; Obtaining referrals; Creation of a shortlist of planners for interview.
- THE EXPERT: Back to basics. // Marketing Week;6/14/2007, Vol. 30 Issue 24, p57
The article focuses on the significance of a generic financial advice. It is noted that an unhelpful description of what is needed is provided by a generic financial advice. It is stated that many vulnerable people need advice on developing basic financial skills, shopping around to reduce...
- Revolutionizing Advice. Mirchandani, Sanjiv // Investment Advisor;Jan2013, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p54
The article focuses on the Do-It- Yourself 2.0 model (DIY 2.0) for investment advisors to offer control coupled with scalable advice using a mix of powerful websites and robust online planning tools. It is noted that broker-dealers must increase the efficiency of their infrastructures to enable...