Texas Lottery revenues keep sinking, but the alarms haven't gone off yet
- Change the odds. // Crain's Cleveland Business;7/26/93, Vol. 14 Issue 30, p10
Editorial. Advocates the change in formula for the division of proceeds from the Ohio Lottery. Shortchange of public schools; Failure of legislators to make proportional division; Signs of improvement in the Cleveland Board of Education; Call to public officials for a reform in formula.
- State lotto gold turning into rust. Borden, Jeff // Crain's Chicago Business;7/4/94, Vol. 17 Issue 27, p1
Reports on the decline in Illinois' lotto sales for 1993. Decreasing trend of lotto sales in the state; Factors which contribute to the decline in lotto sales; Efforts of Illinois Lottery Director Desiree Rogers to increase lotto sales.
- Are lotteries a ripoff? Bayer, A. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Jan1990, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p11
Discusses state-run lotteries and the odds of winning them. Payout rates; How money is paid to winners; Promotion of lotteries; Lotteries as hidden tax. INSET: A substitute for illegal gambling? by J.W. Merline..
- Privatize state lotteries. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Jan1990, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p16
Opinion. Argues that states should not have control of lotteries. Lotteries as revenue; Need for private competition; Truth in advertising.
- Lotteries. Merline, J.W. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Jan1992, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p38
Reports that the state of Virginia is attempting to bar competition for its lottery business. Fortune USA sued the state over rules prohibiting the sale of out-of-state lottery tickets. Odds of winning Lotto (1 in 12,913,583).
- Lottery services can be a lottery themselves. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Mar1995, Vol. 78 Issue 3, p7
Reports on developments regarding lottery services in the United States as of March 1995. Efforts of state and lottery commissions to remove lottery services; Case of a New Jersey policeman who won a lottery in Texas; Tips for consumers joining out-of-state lotteries.
- A modest history lesson. Hegarty, Liam // Fairfield County Business Journal;08/03/98, Vol. 37 Issue 31, p4
Opinion. Criticizes the Powerball lottery game in Connecticut because of its contribution in the decline of American values. Chaos from the lure of easy money; Symbol of the disenfranchisement of America's poor.
- Black family wins $22 million in Illinois Lottery. // Jet;7/31/89, Vol. 76 Issue 17, p24
Reports on a black Chicago family, the Lee Pierce family, who won over $22 million in the Illinois State Lottery Lotto game. Their future plans are discussed.
- Who gets fortune if lottery winner dies? Moore, T.S. // Jet;3/19/90, Vol. 77 Issue 23, p24
Discusses the fate of multimillion dollar lottery winnings if the winner dies before collecting all the winnings. Heirs would then inherit the winnings; Practices in specific states are explained; Winners are advised to have a will.
- Risky business. Anderson, J. // Texas Monthly;Jan91, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p70
Discusses the possibility of a state lottery game in Texas. Governor Ann Richards a lottery proponent; State Representative Ron Wilson attempting to obtain a bill authorizing a referendum; Wilson projects state would net $750 million per year and gross $2.2 billion; Customer base may not be...