Wisconsin achieves diversion goals
- City's managed competition model tops private sector. Shapard, Rob // World Wastes;Jun97, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p7
Reports that the solid waste division of Chesapeake, Virginia's public works department will begin collecting refuse, yard waste and bulky waste four days a week in the city's Western Branch area. Assignment description; Effort to determine the most economical and efficient collection method;...
- The art of the practical. Knapp, Bill // World Wastes;Jul97, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p48
Discusses community participation in solid waste management in the United States. Determination of what kind of program will be affordable and acceptable; Basic collection methods used in recycling programs; Calculation of the cost of collection.
- Chomp on this. Wolpin, Bill // World Wastes;Aug97, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p4
Editorial. Comments on the practice of several areas in the United States of selling their solid waste assets. Cost of monitoring inactive landfills; Difficulties experienced by waste industry in securing capital.
- Weigh up and pay up. Fickes, Michael // World Wastes;Aug97, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p26
Details the implementation of charge-by-weight billing systems by municipalities and solid waste companies in Oakland Park, Florida. Factors attributed to the high cost of waste disposal; Proposal of the billing system by Greg Gomez, manager of the municipal services division; Financial...
- Meeting the challenge, competing to win. Gardner, Robert B.; Blakeley, Fred // World Wastes;Mar1998, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p65
Details Florida counties of Desoto and Seminole's privatization of their solid waste management operations. Desoto's construction of a Class 1 landfill cell and made improvements to its leachate storage facilities; Functions of the Seminole County Solid Waste Management Department (SCSWD);...
- Information is the Main Course at a Landfill Lunch. MacLeod, Teren // World Wastes;Sep98, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p8
Presents tips for solid waste managers on how to communicate with their customers. Building of good media relations and dispelling myths; Communication of facts as they relate to individuals; Creation of diverse and interactive channels for sharing information.
- Masters of Diversion: It Pays to Divert. Hett, William N.; Gordon, David J.A. // World Wastes;Sep98, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p50
Focuses on the diversion plan for solid waste management in Markham, Ontario. Management strategy development; Centralized composting diversion; Types of source reduction; Packaging technique of soft drink manufacturers. INSET: The Economics of Diversion.
- A thorough waste of money, time and effort. // Builders Merchants Journal;Nov/Dec96, p15
Reports on the notable absence of the construction industry in an organization that focuses on the packaging of waste. Name of the organization; Disadvantages of the organization's aims; Concerns expressed by the mainstream packaging industry.
- Biologic Wann, David // Environmental Action;Nov/Dec1988, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p20
No abstract available.