The tide of Easter
- Understanding the World of Islam. Renard, John // America;10/20/1979, Vol. 141 Issue 11, p207
No abstract available.
- The new world of Islam. // Current Events;3/23/92, Vol. 91 Issue 23, Special Report p2a
Describes how the freeing of six new Islamic nations from the Soviet Union--Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan--added new life to the Islamic world. History of; Beliefs; Role of religion in politics; Help from other countries. INSET: The power of...
- Where do the World's Muslims live? // Junior Scholastic;04/11/97, Vol. 99 Issue 16, p16
Presents questions about regions occupied by the Muslim population. Africa and Asia as the countries where largest number of Muslims live; Northernmost country with a large Muslim population; Percentage of population in the easternmost Muslim country that follows Islam.
- In Iran. Wawro, Geoffrey // American Scholar;Summer2002, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p97
Presents an article on a visit to Iran. Culture of the people; Strict observance of Islamic law; Status of security at the border.
- Central and South Asia in a new world order. Bank, Stephen // World & I;Nov95, Vol. 10 Issue 11, p318
Makes various observations about the emergence of new Muslim states in Central and South Asia. Reasons for the ascendancy of Islamism as a political ideology; Role of Central Asian states in international politics; Effect on ethnic differences.
- Divorce from the West. // Wilson Quarterly;Summer91, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p123
Reviews the article `The Islamic World and the Latin West, 1350-1500,' by Archibald R. Lewis published in `Speculum,' dated October 1990 on the split between the Islamic world and the West. Attitudes that the two world civilizations formed toward each other; History of the two civilizations'...
- Turkey pushes eat. Myddelton, Richard // Middle East;Oct96, Issue 260, p7
Reports that Turkey's Islamist Prime Minister Necmettin Erbakan wants closer ties with eastern Islamic countries despite the country's 70 years of western securalism. Position on western bases; Creation of military zone inside Iraqi territory to stop Kurdish insurgency; Travels to Iraq and Iran.
- Banking on principles. Siddiqi, Moin A. // Middle East;May97, Issue 267, p26
Discusses fundamentals that guide the principles of the Islamic banking system and its instruments. Koran's prohibition of interest or usury and speculation; Maintaining of balance between the interests of investors, shareholders, users and society; Safeguarding of investor's interests;...
- Failed Democratization in the Arab World. Avineri, Shlomo // Dissent (00123846);Fall2002, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p21
Analyzes the democratization of Muslim countries. Hurdles to democratization; Signs of democratic movements; Relationship between Islam and democracy; Forms of government in Muslim nations.