New guide shows how to avoid dust
- Manufacturers get $7.4 million in duties. // Furniture/Today;12/20/2010, Vol. 35 Issue 16, p34
The article reports on the initiative of the federal government to disburse about 7.4 million dollars in import duties for the current and former furniture manufacturers in the U.S.
- Federal prisons step up office furniture production. Aylsworth, Karen // Grand Rapids Business Journal;06/09/97, Vol. 15 Issue 23, pB-3
Examines the complaints by the furniture industry in the United States to the decision of the Justice Department's Federal Prison Industries (FPI) Inc. to increase the production of its UNICOR brand of office furniture. Planned sales of increased production to federal agencies; Claimed...
- Hoekstra Sees FPI Deal As Renewed Threat. Sanchez, Mark // Grand Rapids Business Journal;05/14/2001, Vol. 19 Issue 20, p41
Examines the impact of the Federal Prison Industries (FPI) by supplying office furnitures to federal agencies on the furniture industry in Michigan. Efforts of United States Representative Pete Hoekstra to eliminate monopoly; Number of inmates employed by FPI; Sales of FPI for the year 2000.
- Furniture makers want more. Molinari, Deanne // Grand Rapids Business Journal;08/11/97, Vol. 15 Issue 32, p3
Reports on the support of furniture makers on the legislative measure to open up federal-office furniture contracts in Grand Rapids, Michigan. List of leading furniture suppliers in Michigan; Reason for the establishment of the Federal Prison Industries Inc.; Local manufacturers' comment on the...
- FPI Is Bad, But DeVos Isn't. Volkema, Michael A. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;6/23/2003, Vol. 21 Issue 25, p4
Comments on article published in the May 27, 2003 issue of the 'Grand Rapids Business Journal' concerning the impact of U.S. Federal Prison Industries' monopoly on office furniture manufacturers in Michigan. Views on Republican Party chairman Betsy DeVos who is involved in the problem; Details...
- Western. // Business North Carolina;Aug2009, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p32
This section offers business-related news briefs in the western region of North Carolina in the U.S. In Cherokee, the federal government has allotted 64 million U.S. dollars stimulus money for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. In Spruce Pine, 35 employees lost their jobs after Genesis...
- NRF: Home Furnishings Category Helped in March. // Home Textiles Today;4/18/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p7
The article focuses on the report of the U.S. National Retail Federation (NRF) on the 3.6% seasonally adjusted the month-to-month increased on the sales of furniture and home furnishing in March 2011.
- GOP Leaders Have Ignored FPI Issue. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;5/27/2003, Vol. 21 Issue 21, p4
Criticizes the Republican leaders of Michigan for not responding to the predatory practices of Federal Prison Industries (FPI). Growth rate of FPI furniture manufacturing business; Estimated number of unemployed office furniture workers in Michigan; Growth plans of FPI for its automotive...
- Rapid Growth. Popovec, Jennifer // Retail Traffic;Oct2007, Vol. 36 Issue 10, p59
The article highlights the economic condition of Grand Rapids in Michigan. According to the author, the economy of Grand Rapids has been fueled by the automobile and office furniture industries. He added that Grand Rapids is also emerging as a health care and biotechnology center as stated by...