2011 - Review: Current drug treatments do not reduce mortality in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Update on diagnosis and treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Baddini-Martinez, José; Baldi, Bruno Guedes; da Costa, Cláudia Henrique; Jezler, Sérgio; Lima, Mariana Silva; Rufino, Rogério // Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia;set/out2015, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p454
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is a type of chronic fibrosing interstitial pneumonia, of unknown etiology, which is associated with a progressive decrease in pulmonary function and with high mortality rates. Interest in and knowledge of this disorder have grown substantially in recent years. In...
- American Thoracic Society Intl Conference: New England Journal of Medicine: First, do no harm: Study finds danger in standard treatment for a serious lung disease. // Biomedical Market Newsletter;5/25/2012, Vol. 21, p1
The article offers information on the adverse effects associated with drug combination for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis treatment.
- FDA Panel Backs InterMune Drug. // Bioworld Week;3/15/2010, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p3
The article reports on the support of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Pulmonary-Allergy Drugs Advisory Committee for the approval of InterMune Inc.'s perfidone as an idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) treatment to reduce decline in lung function in patients with IPF.
- 2011 - Review: Current drug treatments do not reduce mortality in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Lipchik, Randolph J. // ACP Journal Club;6/21/2011, Vol. 154 Issue 6, p7
Question Which treatments are effective for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF)? Review scope Included studies evaluated treatments for IPF. Reported outcomes varied across studies. Review methods MEDLINE (1996 to May 2010), EMBASE/Excerpta Medica, CINAHL, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled...
- Epidemiology and Management of Common Pulmonary Diseases in Older Persons. Akgün, Kathleen M.; Crothers, Kristina; Pisani, Margaret // Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical ;Mar2012, Vol. 67A Issue 3, p276
Pulmonary disease prevalence increases with age and contributes to morbidity and mortality in older patients. Dyspnea in older patients is often ascribed to multiple etiologies such as medical comorbidities and deconditioning. Common pulmonary disorders are frequently overlooked as contributors...
- Acute Exacerbations in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Crowley, Searnus P.; Kelly, Peter; Egan, Jim J. // Annals of Internal Medicine;2/7/2006, Vol. 144 Issue 3, p218
A letter to the editor is presented commenting on the treatment of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Co-trimoxazole for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: time for TIPAC-2? Mujakperuo, Helen; McGrath, Emmet E.; Thickett, David R. // Thorax;Feb2013, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p123
The authors discuss the results of TIPAC, a randomised placebo controlled trial of co-trimoxazole in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). They mention that so far there is only one drug pirfenidone that has been approved for use in Europe and that may slow the progression of the...
- InterMune receives orphan drug status from FDA for lung drug. // PharmaWatch: Biotechnology;May 2004, Vol. 3 Issue 5, p16
Focuses on the orphan drug designation granted to pirfenidone from InterMune Inc. by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Characterization of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis; Provision of market exclusivity; Compliance with certain specified...
- 2014 - Nintedanib reduced decline in FVC in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Lake, Fiona; Richeldi, L. // ACP Journal Club;10/1/2014, Vol. 161 Issue 8, p4
The article presents a study which is focused on analyzing the effect of using the nintedanib drug in the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). The study was conducted on 515 patients of mean age 67 years in which level of carbon monoxide was measured. According to the results,...