Bringing Everyone Aboard
- Nassau Questions Free Net Service. Oder, Norman; Rogers, Michael // Library Journal;12/1/1999, Vol. 124 Issue 20, p24
Reports that the Nassau County Library System, in New York City, offered its patrons free Internet access from home during a brief period in 1998. Costs involved; Features of the Internet access site.
- Study: Library Computers Serve Key Ed. Role. // Education Week;4/7/2010, Vol. 29 Issue 28, p10
The article discusses the report "Opportunity for All: How the American Public Benefits From Internet Access at U.S. Libraries" by researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle.
- The Next Big Thing: Super-PDAs Do It All. Schuyler, Michael // Computers in Libraries;Jun2002, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p28
Discusses the outlook for the use of personal digital assistants (PDA) in libraries. Role of wireless computers in libraries; Effect of technology on libraries; Idea to enable libraries to provide wireless access to PDAs within a certain distance of the library, in order to provide users with...
- YES We Can Tech Support as the Evolution of Reference. Boncoglu, Kayhan // Access (1204-0472);Summer2010, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p20
The article offers the author's insights regarding the help provided by iHelp, a new digital reference desk and media centre at Pickering Public Library in Pickering, Ontario. He states that experts from iHelp are committed to keep up to dates trend in technology and computer. He says that...
- Phoenix Council Demands Filters on All Library Computers. Eberhart, George M. // American Libraries;Oct2004, Vol. 35 Issue 9, p14
Reports that the city council of Phoenix, Arizona has voted unanimously on September 8, 2004 to bar adults from unrestricted Internet access on all public library computers. Ruling of the Supreme Court on the Children's Internet Protection Act; Opposition to the council's action; Effect of the...
- Search Engines for Library Web Sites. // Library Technology Reports;May/Jun2000, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p3
Introduces a series of search engine software reviews. Definition of a search engine; Software packages that have been developed; Search engine needs of library Internet; Products included in the May 2000 issue of the `Library Technology Reports' magazine.
- USING COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS ON THE LIBRARY INTRANET. // Library Technology Reports;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p45
Discusses the use of the library Internet to disseminate periodical articles in the U.S. Distribution of full text of periodical literature within its intranet sending directly to a patron as part of a selective dissemination service; Creation of a library e-reserve; Limitations on the concept...
- I-Gear from Sagebrush Is HR4577-Compliant. // Computers in Libraries;Mar2001, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p20
Reports that Sagebrush Corp. has announced that its WebManager Suite featuring I-Gear from Symantec Corp. complies with HR4577, The Children's Internet Protection Act. How the software allows school library professionals to evaluate Web sites; Multiple levels of access protection which can be...
- Group forms patent pool for RFID IP. // Electronics Weekly;8/17/2005, Issue 2206, p14
This article reports that a group of 20 RFID vendors has announced the formation of a "patent pool" consortium which is intended to simplify and streamline users' access to RFID intellectual property.