The Wrong Thing
- Hazards of the sentencing guidelines. O'Toole, Franklin // CPA Journal;Feb96, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p36
Focuses on the United States Federal sentencing guidelines which determines fines for criminal offenses. Background and focus of the guidelines; Nonmonetary punishment; Monetary punishment; Calculation of fines; Minimum action steps for the company seeking to protect itself.
- The Nation's Felons. Tischler, Eric // Corrections Today;Aug99, Vol. 61 Issue 5, p14
Reports on the felony convictions in the United States. Counts of convicted felonies in the country in 1996; Growth of state felony convictions in 1988; Average jail sentence for offenders.
- Age and Occupational Status of Defendant in Relation to Mock Juror Sentencing Recommendations. Loeffler, Rebecca L.; Lawson, Timothy J. // Current Psychology;Fall2002, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p289
This study extended the research of Smith & Hed (1975) by examining the effect of age and occupational status on sentencing recommendation by mock jurors. Participants read a description of a crime committed by a young or old and high or low status defendant, recommended a sentence, and...
- Retroactive amendments revisited. Goodwin, Catharine M. // Federal Probation;Sep94, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p58
Reports on the Sentencing Commission's revision of it retroactive amendment procedure, Policy Statement 1B1.10. Elimination of guideline applications and fact determinations; Other amendments passed by the Commission.
- Reports received. // Federal Probation;Sep94, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p72
Reviews the report `The Consequences of Mandatory Minimum Prison Terms: A Summary of Recent Findings,' issued by the Federal Judicial Center in Washington, D.C.
- Organizational probation under the federal sentencing guidelines[a]. Green, Gary S. // Federal Probation;Dec98, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p25
Discusses the legal background for organization probation in the United States. Analysis of United States Sentencing Commission data on organizations sentenced under Chapter 8; Types of organizations; Offense types; Characteristics of convicted organizations.
- Changes in approaches to sentencing. Freiberg, Arie // Legaldate;Sep94, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p1
Discusses major issues concerning sentencing policy reform agenda. Discretion and disparity; Alternatives to imprisonment; Truth in sentencing; Maximum penalties; Increased maximum penalties; Changing aims; Indefinite sentences; Cumulative or concurrent sentences; Emphasis on the victim; Plea...
- Human Rights, Due Process and Sentencing. Henham, Ralph // British Journal of Criminology;Autumn98, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p592
Examines arguments made regarding the adoption of a rights-based approach used to analyze the sentencing process and traditional crime control, with reference to the development of process models. Attempts to advance the theoretical debate by suggesting how a theory of structuration could be...
- Sentencing guidelines on trial in High Court. Wood, Daniel B. // Christian Science Monitor;2/20/96, Vol. 88 Issue 58, p3
Reports on whether or not sentencing should be governed by rigid guidelines in the United States (US). Information on various judges' sentencing including District Court judge John Davies; Comments from Robert Pugsley, law professor at Southwestern School of Law; Information on ruling taken by...