a new twist on hot Spots
- GROWTH SPURTS. // Telephony;3/11/2002, Vol. 242 Issue 10, p20
Forecasts growth in telecommunications industry. Percentage of growth for metro access products and services by 2006; Users of public wireless local area networks in 2007; Number of telecommuters by 2004.
- Successful Alternatives to How Technologists Work with Schools. Robbins, Nancy; Gordon, Bill // T H E Journal;Jun2000, Vol. 27 Issue 11, p132
Reports on the employment of a local area network (LAN) specialist by a Colorado school district. Installation and maintenance of LAN in 35 schools; Factors to consider when deciding whether or not to outsource installation; Participation of students in the project.
- Getting wired. Benjamin, Maynard H. // Association Management;Jun95, Vol. 47 Issue 6, p32
Focuses on the significant aspects of computer wiring or cabling systems for local area networks. Distinction between bus topology and star topology wiring systems; Advantage of using star topology; Transmission speed; Recommendation of level 5 wiring; Use of fiber optic cabling between the...
- The Virtual DMZ. Yarborough, Bill // Telecommunications - Americas Edition;Oct98, Vol. 32 Issue 10, p42
Comments on session sequencing, session multiplexing and session routing which can provide a powerful low-maintenance solution for secure access from the public Internet into the corporate local area network (LAN). Benefits of using session routing from the private proxy client; Why any...
- Breaking the MAN Bottleneck. Koslowsky, Robert K. // Telecommunications - Americas Edition;Jun2001, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p108
Reports on the search by telecommunication carriers for a MAN optical infrastructure that makes it easier to supply voice, data and video services cost effectively. Percentage share of metro optical transport in the overall market for network infrastructure in 2000; Two approaches to solving...
- In search of the truth: Air-blown myths blown. McDuffee, Fred // Cabling Installation & Maintenance;Aug98, Vol. 6 Issue 9, p92
Comments on the choice of cabling system to use when installing or upgrading an optical-fiber local area network (LAN). Application of air-blown fiber (ABF) technology in LAN cabling; Standards for ABF technology.
- Cabling considerations for multimedia applications. McLaughlin, Patrick // Cabling Installation & Maintenance;Jul99, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p29
Discusses cabling considerations for multimedia applications. Sending of data and video through a local area network; Use of specialized connection devices.
- Unified Management Untangles Local Access Mess. Presworsky, Eric // Telecommunications - Americas Edition;Sep2000, Vol. 34 Issue 9, p78
Focuses on the need for telecommunication service providers to make unified local area network management a reality. Congestion at the local access levels; Service providers' deployment of solutions that can provide the services their customers demand; Only way for local access providers to...
- Assessing the costs and benefits of ScTP cable. Lupinacci, Jeffrey A. // Cabling Installation & Maintenance;Nov98, Vol. 6 Issue 12, p57
Compares the performance of unshielded twisted-pair (UTP) and screened twisted-pair (ScTP) cables for local area network (LAN) applications. Use of ScTP in Europe; Construction of ScTP and UTP; Cabling of UTP and ScTP.