Daring to dream: reactions to tobacco endgame ideas among policy-makers, media and public health practitioners
- French Rolls. McNicoll, Tracy // Newsweek;12/19/2005, Vol. 146 Issue 25, pE22
The article evaluates cigars from Le Navarre in France.
- TOBACCO, SEDUCTION AND PURITANISM. Digby, Matthew R. // Quadrant Magazine;Jul/Aug2007, Vol. 51 Issue 7/8, p40
The article discusses the history behind the use of tobacco from around the world. According to the author, tobacco has been an orthodox medicine in Europe for centuries. However, the author argues that the unfortunate truth behind tobacco is that it is poison. In this regard, it is important...
- Trends in smoking behaviour between 1985 and 2000 in nine European countries by education. Giskes, K; Kunst, A. E.; Benach, J; Borrell, C; Costa, G; Dahi, E; Dalsfra, J A A; Federico, B; Helmert, U; Judge, K; Lahelma, E; Moussa, K; Ostergren, P O; Plait, S; Prattala, R; Rasmussen, N K; Mackenbach, J P // Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health;May2005, Vol. 59 Issue 5, p395
Objective: To examine whether trends in smoking behaviour in Western Europe between 1985 and 2000 differed by education group. Design: Data of smoking behaviour and education level were obtained from national cross sectional surveys conducted between 1985 and 2000 (a period characterised by...
- TOBACCO. Nabokov, Peter // Encyclopedia of North American Indians (Houghton Mifflin);1996, p633
The first recorded Indian use of tobacco appears in Christopher Columbus's journal entry for November 15, 1492. Among North American Indians the common method of smoking was to use stone pipes. The most elaborate Indian smoking practices developed on the southern plains. Most Indian peoples...
- Put That in Your Hubble-Bubble and Smoke It. Robischon, Noah // Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel (Newsweek LLC);May2005, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p68
Presents information on the hubble-bubble, a Turkish tradition and pastime of smoking tobacco from a glass water pipe known as narghile. Information on the flavors available for hubble-bubble; Ways of smoking from narghile; Components of a narghile.
- Use of propensity score matching in evaluating smokeless tobacco as a gateway to smoking. Timberlake, David S.; Huh, Jimi; Lakon, Cynthia M. // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Apr2009, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p455
Introduction:: The contentious debate over the promotion of Swedish snus, a form of moist snuff, as an alternative to cigarettes has often focused on the product's potential as a gateway to smoking. Findings from prospective studies in the United States have suggested that smokeless tobacco...
- Characteristics of current and recent former smokers associated with the use of new potential reduced-exposure tobacco products. Parascandola, Mark; Augustson, Erik; Rose, Allison // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Dec2009, Vol. 11 Issue 12, p1431
Objectives:: To identify sociodemographic characteristics associated with having tried a potentialy reduced-exposure tobacco product (PREP) and to compare the smoking and quitting behaviors and attitudes of smokers who have tried a PREP product with non-PREP users.
- How effective are tobacco industry bar and club marketing efforts in reaching young adults? Gilpin, E. A.; White, V. M.; Pierce, J. P. // Tobacco Control;Jun2005, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p186
Objective: Recently, the tobacco industry has focused marketing efforts on young adults through bar and club promotions, such as advertising and distribution of free cigarettes in these settings. This study estimates the fraction of the California young adult population that might be exposed and...
- Japan, India: mobile smoking vans. // Tobacco Control;Dec2004, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p323
The article informs that Japan Tobacco has launched mobile trailers called "Smocars" for smokers to smoke in even when it is not allowed in public places. Based on the classic Airstream holiday caravan from the USA, "Smocars" have been spotted at locations throughout Japan over the past year....