EDMC, Apollo Group Face Scrutiny
- Court upholds roll back of race-based admissions. Marquand, Robert // Christian Science Monitor;7/2/96, Vol. 88 Issue 152, p3
Reports that the Fifth Circuit Court in New Orleans ruled that a University of Texas Law School racial admissions policy in 1992 infringed on the rights of a white female applicant who was denied a place at the school. Circuit court's contention that the school's racial quota system was...
- Texas bill ties college admissions, economic need. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;04/23/97, Vol. 16 Issue 30, p17
Reports on the approval of a bill in Texas which would enable high school graduates from needy families and low-performing schools to apply to selective colleges. Automatic admission of students whose grade-point averages put them in the top ten percent of their classes; Other admission provisions.
- Appeals Court Strikes Down Michigan Ban on Race-Sensitive Admissions Filed in Breaking News on November 15, 2012. // Journal of Blacks in Higher Education (BruCon Publishing Co.);11/22/2012, p5
The article reports that the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals has declined Michigan's Proposal 2, which bans the consideration of race admissions at state universities. The court has found that the state law violated the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment due to rules against...
- "Bring Me Men A and Women:" The Integration of Women into the United States Air Force Academy. Gawlinski, Allison // Air Power History;Summer2007, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p32
The article focuses on the integration of women in all service academies in the U.S. Actions and oppositions for equating women to all male service academies were focused. Congressional litigations and discussions for denying or allowing women to join the academies were included. Furthermore,...
- Financial Briefs ï¿½. // Educational Marketer;1/18/2010, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p8
The article offers news briefs related to finance in the U.S. including settlement of the lawsuit against Apollo Group Inc., increase of revenue of Goodheart-Willcox Co. Inc. by four percent and Universal Technical Institute has produced 366.6 million dollars in fiscal 2009.
- Firm considers options after stock fraud award. Lenckus, Dave // Business Insurance;2/4/2008, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p3
The article explores the options that can be considered by Apollo Group Inc. following the final judgment ruled by U.S. District Court Judge James A. Teilborg in Phoenix in the securities fraud claims against the company. The court decided to award damages to the plaintiffs, as well as pre- and...
- Race Still Matters. Jones, David R. // New York Amsterdam News;1/31/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 5, p5
Focuses on the necessity of affirmative action programs for admission policies of the U.S. educational system that take into account race and ethnicity. Goal of the affirmative action programs; Reasons for segregation of public schools by race; Proponents of affirmative action.
- Sen. Clinton, Spitzer challenge Bush on affirmative action. Brooks, Charles // New York Amsterdam News;1/31/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 5, p6
Reports on the announcement by U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton and New York's Attorney General Eliot Spitzer to file a brief against President George W. Bush's decision to oppose the University of Michigan's affirmative action policy. Effect of the affirmative action on goal of promoting diversity...
- Women Are More Than Two Thirds of All Students at the University of Phoenix. // Women in Academia Report;2/14/2012, p16
The article reports that women make up 68.9 percent of all students at the University of Phoenix in Arizona based on its academic report in 2011.