FAIR Act Signed in California; Adoptions Still on Hold
- Leno education bill heads to governor. Wockner, Rex // Bay Area Reporter;7/7/2011, Vol. 41 Issue 27, p7
The article reports that the Fair, Accurate, Inclusive and Respectful Education Act by California state Senator Mark Leno aimed to educate students about the historical contributions of the LGBT people is headed to the office of Governor Jerry Brown following the approval of the Assembly on July...
- LGBT teaching bill passes California Legislature. Wockner, Rex // Bay Windows;7/14/2011, Vol. 29 Issue 31, p3
The article offers information on a bill passed by California Legislature on June 5, 2011 that amends the state Education Code, necessitating the inclusion in school education, of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) people's contributions to the development of California and the U.S.
- Calif. Governor Appeals Teacher-Tenure Ruling. WILL, MADELINE // Education Week;9/10/2014, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p4
The article reports that California Governor Jerry Brown appealed the court ruling in the case Vergara v. California, which dealt with the state's teacher-tenure laws.
- Gov. Brown Gives Education a Rhetorical, If Not Fiscal, Boost. Neill, George // Education Week;1/19/1982, Vol. 1 Issue 17, p8
The article reports on the consternation of California school officials and lobbyists on the 1982-1983 fiscal budget for elementary and secondary education unveiled by Governor Edmund G. Brown, the day after his State of the State speech. In his speech, Brown said he seeks for new funds for...
- Planting the Seeds of Peace: Exploring and Celebrating Our Differences. Bateman, Teresa // School Library Journal;Jan2008, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p63
The article presents a review of "Planting the Seeds of Peace: Exploring and Celebrating Our Differences," an elementary school teaching aid available in video or DVD format from Human Relations Media.
- Jerry Brown elected mayor of Oakland, CA. // Jet;06/22/98, Vol. 94 Issue 4, p30
Reports on the election of former California Governor Jerry Brown, as mayor of the predominantly Black city of Oakland, California. Reference to Brown as the first White mayor to lead Oakland in an estimate of 20 years; Name of Oakland's first Black mayor; Information on the mayoral changes in...
- Downtown Jerry Brown. Delsohn, Gary // Planning;Feb99, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p10
Profiles Jerry Brown, mayor of Oakland, California. His political career; Family background; Goals shared by Brown and city manager Robert Bobb.
- A Bronx jeer for Jerry Brown. Walls, J. // New York;4/20/92, Vol. 25 Issue 16, p13
Tells how presidential hopeful Jerry Brown was denied access to a vacant lot in the Bronx in order to shoot a commercial. Request denied by Bronx Borough President Fernando Ferrer; Reasoning behind the rejection; Details.
- In Jerry We Trust. Gewertz, Catherine // Teacher Magazine;May/Jun2000, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p48
Features Oakland, California Mayor Jerry Brown. Political career; Brown' s school agenda in Oakland; Proposal for a `hybrid' school board. INSET: Run, Jerry, Run.