Congress Responds to 401(k) Vice
- Private Accounts for Democrats. Kosterlitz, Julie // National Journal;12/9/2006, Vol. 38 Issue 49, p60
The article reports on a set of proposals prepared by the leaders of the 110th U.S. Congress to shore up retirement security. House and Senate Democratic leaders have shown interest in proposals to nudge many more U.S. toward investing in private accounts outside of the Social Security system....
- House Votes to Expand IRAs and 401(k) Plans. // Human Events;05/14/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 18, p23
Reports that the United States has passed a Republican-initiated bill that would expand tax-free retirement savings plans. Amount of increase for the annual contribution limits for individual retirement accounts and 401(k) plans under the bill; List of legislators who voted for and against the bill.
- Enjoy 'holiday' from required minimum distributions. Marable, Don; Jones, Edward // Fort Worth Business Press;1/12/2009, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p17
The article focuses on a legislation passed by U.S. lawmakers, in which a one-year moratorium is placed on taking required minimum distributions (RMDs) from individual retirement account (IRA), 401(k) or other employer-sponsored retirement plan for 2009. It discusses a brief background of rules...
- Senate Approves Savings Reform Measure. Kaper, Stacey // American Banker;8/7/2006, Vol. 171 Issue 150, p23
The article reports that the United States Senate passed a pension reform bill that would increase a host of tax-free savings opportunities that could benefit financial institutions managing the assets. The bill includes permanent higher contribution limits for 401(k) programs and individual...
- Your Retirement Companion. Slesnick, Twila; Suttle, John C. // IRAs, 401(k)s & Other Retirement Plans;Jun2013, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editors discuss the tax rules for individual retirement accounts (IRAs), 401(k) plans, and other types of retirement plans in the U.S.
- Read Up on Retirement Plans. Hu, Richard Y. // Workforce;Nov2015, Vol. 94 Issue 11, p37
The article offers information on key points you should be considered by employer and employees in the U.S. while dealing with 401(k) plans. These include the traditional 401(k) plan as the most important tool for retirement planning, option for employee to decrease his or her taxable income by...
- TALKS HINGE ON RULES DEFINING 'AT-RISK' STATUS. Schoeff Jr., Mark // Workforce Management;6/12/2006, Vol. 85 Issue 11, p15
The article reports on the different versions of pension reform passed by the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate that encompass complicated funding rules, provisions on 401(k) accounts and policy on investment advice. The rest of the complex bill may fall into place if U.S. House...
- quick look. // Benefits Magazine;Mar2012, Vol. 49 Issue 3, p11
Statistics are presented related to 401(k) plans including one on the percentage of the plan containing a step-up contribution feature, another on the automatic or elective feature, and one on the participants who are in the step-up contribution program.
- PARTING WAYS WITH PENSIONS. Turner, Shawn A. // Crain's Cleveland Business;9/18/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 38, p19
The article reports that the new U.S. pension legislation directing companies to maintain funding levels for pension plans, may turn the standard retirement plan into an unattractive option. In the Pension Protection Act of 2006, it is mandatory for the companies to fund fully their pension...