Comcast Is Onto Something
- 10 STORIES THAT MATTER. // Multichannel News;2/3/2014, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p3
An introduction is presented in which the author discusses the articles published within the issue on topics including African-American television programs, the mass media company Comcast's investment in network operations, and broadcast television advertising sales.
- BLACK IS THE NEW GREEN. // Daily Variety;5/4/2012, Vol. 315 Issue 24, p14
The article informs that four new African-American-focused networks are about to be launched. It has been informed that Comcast's acquisition of NBC Universal in January 2011 is the main reason for the influx of channels. It has been informed that in September 2011 Bounce TV network was launched...
- Magic 'Aspires' to Fill a Void. // Multichannel News;3/19/2012, Vol. 33 Issue 12, p2
An interview with basketball hall of famer Earvin "Magic" Johnson is presented. When asked about the African-American targeted cable service Aspire, he notes that they are trying to fill a marketplace void for African-Americans. He believes that there is a large enough audience on cable...
- TV One Gets More Real. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;10/27/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 42, p28
The article announces that TV One will add more reality shows to its primetime line-up of shows. The move of the company was because the African-American-targeted network moves away from lifestyle programming to a more entertainment-based content. It mentions that Comcast Corp. and Radio One...
- Comcast, Nielsen Test New Ad Product for VOD. TRIBBEY, CHRIS // Home Media Magazine;12/9/2013, Vol. 35 Issue 49, p8
The article reports that cable television company Comcast has collaborated with information firm Nielsen to test an advertising strategy for video on demand offerings.
- DEALS. // Variety;12/4/2013, Vol. 322 Issue 7, p4
The article reports that mass media industry firm Comcast Corp. has formed a partnership with marketing research firm Nielsen to offer advertisers a service placing the same television advertising on a broadcast television program within older episodes of the same program distributed through...
- Black Media Slighted as Spending Skyrockets. Curry, George // Tennessee Tribune;10/3/2013, Vol. 24 Issue 41, p1A
The article reports on the study titled "Resilient, Receptive and Relevant: The African-American Consumer 2013 Report," by Nielsen, which reveals that advertisers allot only three percent of their $2.2 billion budget per year to media. It reveals companies that do the most advertising with Black...
- A case of `severe bias.' Raybon, P. // Newsweek;10/2/89, Vol. 114 Issue 14, p11
Opinion. Discusses the American media's coverage of black Americans, and says it is one-sided and unfair. Tendency to portray the most victimized segment of black America, the poor, criminal, and dysfunctional, as the norm. Gives examples.
- Media code words: How media manipulate us with words. Richardson, Gwen Daye // Headway;Aug96, Vol. 8 Issue 8, p6
Focuses on media code words that almost always are accompanied by the visual image of a black American. Trigger words associated with topics closely aligned with black Americans; Media's reporting of allegations; Utilization of the term `organized crime'.