Short-Term Interaction between Dogs and Their Owners: Effects on Oxytocin, Cortisol, Insulin and Heart Rate--An Exploratory Study
- Just One Look. // ASRT Scanner;Aug/Sep2015, Vol. 47 Issue 6, p12
The article reports on the study at published at the journal "Science" regarding the shared gaze between a dog and its owner, mentioning the potential elevation of oxytocin levels at the dog's owner.
- Associations between the Psychological Characteristics of the Human-Dog Relationship and Oxytocin and Cortisol Levels. Handling, Linda; Nilsson, Anne; Ejdebick, Mikael; Hydbring-Sandberg, Eva; Uvns-Moberg, Kerstin // Anthrozoos;Jun2012, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p215
The aim of the present study was to explore possible correlations between dog owners' relationships with their dogs, as measured with the Monash Dog Owner Relationship Scale (MDORS), and oxytocin and cortisol levels in both the owners and their dogs. Ten female owners of male Labrador Retrievers...
- Myocardial performance (Tei) index is normal in diastolic and systolic heart failure induced by pressure overload in rats. Shingu, Yasushige; Amorim, Paulo; Nguyen, T. Dung; Mohr, Friedrich W.; Schwarzer, Michael; Doenst, Torsten // European Journal of Echocardiography;Dec2010, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p829
Aims Myocardial performance index (MPI), or Tei index, is a Doppler echocardiographic parameter defined as the sum of the isovolumic contraction and relaxation times divided by the ejection time. It is considered a reliable parameter for global left ventricular function. However, the...
- Effects of continuous infusion of etomidate at various dose rates on adrenal function in dogs. Bangyong Qin; Hongzhuan Hu; Baofeng Cao; Zhaoqiong Zhu // BMC Anesthesiology;1/8/2016, Vol. 16, p1
Background: Etomidate is a commonly used sedative in intravenous anesthesia. The aim of this study was to compare the effects of various etomidate doses administered by continuous infusion on adrenal function in dogs under general anesthesia. Methods: Thirty-six healthy adult male dogs were...
- Something to Bark About. Verstraete, Christine A. // Dog World;Oct99, Vol. 84 Issue 10, p72
Focuses on man-animal relationship. Views on having a pet; Insights on canine companionship; Competitions for pets.
- Had an Old Dog. Kelly, Joe // Daughters;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p4
Relates the author's experience in having a pet dog named Chump. Affection of twin daughters to the dog; Characteristic of Chump; Advantage of having Chump in the house.
- HALF A DOG HIGH. Elliott, Byron K. // Saturday Evening Post;May/Jun86, Vol. 258 Issue 4, p50
Describes a dachshund called Chauncy. Dog's popularity in the neighborhood; Penchant for chasing woodchucks; Dog's feeling of responsibility for his family; Dog's extension of his patrols to the entire neighborhood; Relationship with other dogs; Registry in the American Kennel Club; Fights with...
- Does Fido Love You? // ASRT Scanner;Dec2013/Jan2014, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p8
The article reports on the study conducted by Emory University Distinguished Professor of Neuroeconomics Gregory Berns which demonstrates that dogs and humans have similar emotional responses.
- OUR DOG WON'T RETIRE. Stoddard, Maynard Good // Saturday Evening Post;Mar87, Vol. 259 Issue 2, p48
Provides insights on the hard work of Brutus, the author's family dog despite his age. Patience of the dog in waiting for his food; Family's investment in a dog harness; Games played with the dog.