In Yeast, upc2-1 Confers a Decrease in Tolerance to LiCl and NaCl, Which Can Be Suppressed by the P-Type ATPase Encoded by ENA2
- Rewiring yeast for drug synthesis. Kelly, Diane; Kelly, Steven // Nature Biotechnology;Feb2003, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p133
Describes a yeast strain with an altered sterol pathway that can use a simple carbon source to synthesize hydrocortisone, an anti-inflammatory steroid hormone commonly used to treat ailments such as arthritis, skin disorders and adrenal insufficiency. Nonessential nature of certain late-stage...
- Assimilation of grape phytosterols by Saccharomyces cerevisiae and their impact on enological fermentations. Luparia, V.; Soubeyrand, V.; Berges, T.; Julien, A.; Salmon, J.-M. // Applied Microbiology & Biotechnology;Jul2004, Vol. 65 Issue 1, p25
Although yeasts are known to be able to incorporate a wide variety of exogenous sterols under strict anaerobiosis, no data are available on the assimilation of grapevine phytosterols under enological conditions and the eventual impact on fermentation kinetics. We used therefore a mixture of pure...
- Yeast mutants that produce a novel type of ascus containing asci instead of spores. Xue, Zhixiong; Shan, Xiaoyin // Genetics;Nov96, Vol. 144 Issue 3, p977
Reports that tetraploid yeast cells deleted of BFR1 or overexpressing BBP1 produce a novel ascus structure that contains asci instead of spores. Isolation of BFR1 and BBP1; Indirect immunofluorescence and immunoblot analysis; Production of the novel asci upon sporulation.
- Genetic and environmental factors affecting the de novo appearance of the [PSI+ ] prion in... Derkatch, Irina L.; Bradley, Michael E. // Genetics;Oct97, Vol. 147 Issue 2, p507
Presents a study which shows that guanidine hydrochloride (GuHCI) treatment of certain yeast strains results in two classes of...derivatives. Identification of these strains and classes of...derivatives; What genetic analyses show; Examination of the genetic relationship between the different...
- Tea Time. St. Lifer, Holly // Parenting;Oct2002, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p46
Examines the health benefits of tea. Information on green tea; Sample of popular tea brands; Advantages of drinking tea after a high-fat meal.
- Lacazia loboi. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1286
A definition of the term "Lacazia loboi," which refers to a spherical yeast causing cutaneous and subcutaneous infections, is presented.
- Basidiomycetes. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p247
An encyclopedia entry for "basidiomycetes," which refers to a class of the true fungi that contains mushrooms, bracket fungi and the human parasite Cryptococcus, is presented.
- Gene expression: Proteins in profile. Casci, Tanita // Nature Reviews Genetics;Dec2007, Vol. 8 Issue 12, p906
The article presents an abstract of the paper "Genetic basis of proteome variation in yeast," by E. J. Foss and colleagues in the October 21, 2007 issue of "Nature Genetics."
- Sporidiobolus pararoseus Fell & Tallman - an antagonistic yeast with biocontrol potential. Sharma, R. N.; Maharshi, R. P.; Gaur, R. B. // Current Science (00113891);10/25/2008, Vol. 95 Issue 8, p1003
A letter to the editor is presented about the biocontrol potential of the novel yeast strain of Sporidiobolus pararoseus.