Globe's one billion disabled people often marginalized
- Disabled funds. // New Internationalist;Apr96, Issue 278, p4
Estimates that seven percent of the people in the world have some kind of disability. Other statistics from the World Health Organization (WHO); Delegation led by former minister for Social Affairs in Sweden, Bengt Lindqvist; Concern from Lindqvist about international funds for rehabilitation.
- Measuring disability and monitoring the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: the work of the Washington Group on Disability Statistics. Madans, Jennifer H.; Loeb, Mitchell E.; Altman, Barbara M. // BMC Public Health;2011 Supplement 4, Vol. 11 Issue Suppl 4, p1
The Washington Group on Disability Statistics is a voluntary working group made up of representatives of over 100 National Statistical Offices and international, non-governmental and disability organizations that was organized under the aegis of the United Nations Statistical Division. The...
- WHO calls for global agenda for the disabled. // Nation's Health;Feb2000, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p8
Reveals the move of the World Health Organization (WHO) in urging the United Nations and other partners to develop a common agenda to help the world's disabled people living in developing countries. Comments from Gro Harlem Brundtland, director-general of WHO; Statistics on people with special...
- Disability in the Majority World. // New Internationalist;Nov2005, Issue 384, p12
Enumerates facts regarding people with disabilities in the world. Estimated percentage of any given population who will become disabled according to the World Health Organization; Causes of impairment; Death rate for children with disabilities; Percentage of children with disabilities that do...
- A world of difference. Eno, Fred A. // WE Magazine;Mar/Apr2000, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p86
Presents issues on health and disabilities worldwide. Order issued by the World Health Organization regarding poliomyelitis; Areas where the virus is still active; Condition of people with disabilities in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- WHO Global Disability Action Plan 2014 - 2021. // Access by Design;Summer2014, Issue 139, p6
The article discusses the endorsement of the World Health Organisation's (WHO) Global Disability Action Plan 2014-2021 during the 67th World Health Assembly in Great Britain which highlights better health for all people with disability.
- The impact of the World Health Organization 8-steps in wheelchair service provision in wheelchair users in a less resourced setting: a cohort study in Indonesia. Toro, Maria L.; Eke, Chika; Pearlman, Jonathan // BMC Health Services Research;1/22/2016, Vol. 16, p1
Background:For people who have a mobility impairment, access to an appropriate wheelchair is an important step towards social inclusion and participation. The World Health Organization Guidelines for the Provision of Manual Wheelchairs in Less Resourced Settings emphasize the eight...
- Healthy ageing, unhealthy politics. Iliffe, Steve; Manthorpe, Jill // Soundings (13626620);Winter2012, Issue 52, p75
The article tackles issues concerning services and funding for an ageing population. Although health promotion may improve general health, socio-economic gaps are expected to render government actions on the issue limited. Obesity is identified as a feature of the affluent minority in poor...
- CHANGE OF NAME AT WHO. // Injury Prevention (1353-8047);Apr2008, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p139
The article discusses about the Department of Injuries and Violence Prevention of the World Health Organization. According to the article, the Department of Injuries and Violence Prevention has changed their name into the Department of Violence and Injury Prevention and Disability. It is...