- NUTRITION & FITNESS NEWSBRIEFS. // DukeMedicine HealthNews;Mar2012, p6
The article offers medical news briefs related to nutrition and fitness. A study conducted by researchers in Washington and Oregon suggests that yoga, and stretching classes are equally effective for reducing chronic low back pain. An article published in the "European Respiratory Journal"...
- Sleeping sideways saves lives. R.M.D. // Cortlandt Forum;8/25/95, Vol. 8 Issue 8, p78
Offers management approach for patients with sleep apnea. Sleeping position; Physiological importance; Studies on sleep.
- Smoking Cessation Related to Improved Patient-Reported Pain Scores Following Spinal Care. Behrend, Caleb; Prasarn, Mark; Coyne, Ellen; Horodyski, MaryBeth; Wright, Joim; Rechtine, Glenn R. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;12/5/2012, Vol. 94-A Issue 23, p2161
Background: Smoking is associated with low back pain, intervertebral disc disease, inferior patient outcomes following surgical interventions, and increased rates of postoperative complications. The purpose of the present study was to examine the effect of smoking and smoking cessation on pain...
- ERRATUM. // Health Promotion International;Sep2015, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p816
A correction to the article "BMI change in Australian cardiac rehabilitation patients: cookery skills intervention versus written information" that was published in a previous issue is presented.
- Pre-habilitation. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Sep2014, Vol. 32 Issue 9, p6
The article discusses how to effectively prepare for knee replacement surgery to minimize complications and optimize recovery. Among the pre-habilitation steps are building strength, quitting smoking, and controlling blood sugar. The other recommendations are managing sleep apnea, improving...
- Epidemiology of undernutrition in adults in Dhaka slum households, Bangladesh. Pryer, J. A.; Rogers, S. // European Journal of Clinical Nutrition;Jul2006, Vol. 60 Issue 7, p815
Objectives:To identify socioeconomic, demographic and environmental factors that predict undernutrition in adults in a Dhaka slum population.Design:A panel survey, conducted between 1995 and 1997. A random sample of households was selected. Socioeconomic, demographic and environmental variables...
- BMI-based obesity cutoffs and excess adiposity in a Caribbean adolescent population of African origin. Nichols, S. D.; Cadogan, F. // European Journal of Clinical Nutrition;Feb2009, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p253
Objective:To evaluate the diagnostic utility of recommended body mass index (BMI)-based classification systems in detecting excess body fat (BF) in an Afro-Caribbean adolescent population.Subjects:All adolescents aged 12â€“18 years were invited to participate in the study. A total of 3749...
- Whole grains and adiposity: little association among British adults. Thane, C. W.; Stephen, A. M.; Jebb, S. A. // European Journal of Clinical Nutrition;Feb2009, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p229
Objectives:To examine associations of whole-grain intake with body weight and adiposity in two nationally representative samples of British adults.Subjects/Methods:A total of 2064 adults aged 16â€“64 years in 1986â€“1987, 1599 adults aged 19â€“64 years in 2000â€“2001....
- Weight Loss For Mild Sleep Apnea. // Nutrition Health Review: The Consumer's Medical Journal;2010, Issue 101, p13
The article reports on the beneficial effects of weight loss on obstructive sleep apnea.