Illegal mines shut down in Guyana
- Illegal mines shut down in Guyana. // Hot Calaloo;Mar2011, p18
The article reports on the shutting down of 14 illegal gold mining operations in Essequibo, Guyana by the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) as of May 2011, to curb the problem of raiding gold bearing, vacant State lands.
- Philippines: communities versus mining giants. // Chain Reaction;Summer2000, Issue 84, p45
Reports the withdrawal of equipment from the gold and copper mine of the Australian Climax Arimco Mining Corporation in Didipio, Philippines. Stoppage of the drilling and other exploration activities; Reasons for the temporary closure.
- Nu River Mining Project Stopped. // World Rivers Review;Mar2012, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p3
The article reports on the closing of the gold mining company and removal of its equipment at the Tibetan village in Yunnan, China on January 23, 2012.
- EMPLOYMENT AND RETRENCHMENT ISSUES IN THE PORGERA GOLD MINE, PAPUA NEW GUINEA: A STRATEGIC APPROACH TO LEAVE BEHIND A BETTER PORGERA. Kanaparo, Peter Balone // Research & Practice in Human Resource Management;Jun2010, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p96
The issue of retrenchment is a topic of considerable relevance for the Papua New Guinea (PNG) mining, petroleum and gas industries. The unique environments in which Porgera JointVenture (PJV) and other similar operations operate are likely to confront these industries with particular dilemmas...
- In Canada. // Engineering & Mining Journal (00958948);Mar1998, Vol. 199 Issue 3, p80
Reports on the slated closure of Echo Bay's Lupin gold mine in the Northwest Territories. Reduced operational levels for the McCoy/Cove mine in Nevada; Estimated number of employees to be laid off.
- The Impact of Mine Downscaling on the Free State Goldfields. Marais, Lochner // Urban Forum;Dec2013, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p503
Mine downscaling is a common international phenomenon; and the deindustrialisation related to mining that occurred in the global north between 1960 and 1990 has been the focus of numerous studies. Mine downscaling in Africa, and more specifically in South Africa, has only risen to prominence in...
- When Are Real Options Exercised? An Empirical Study of Mine Closings. Moel, Alberto; Tufano, Peter // Review of Financial Studies;Spring2002, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p35
In this article, we study a well-known real option: the opening and closing of mines. Using a new database that tracks the annual opening and closing decisions of 285 developed North American gold mines in the period 1988-1997, we find that the real options model is a useful descriptor of mines'...
- Misima Mines Ltd responds to island gold mine concerns. // Ecos;Jun/Jul2005, Issue 125, p8
Australian-based mining watch group, Mineral Policy Institute (MPI) has raised concerns over handling of allegedly significant environmental and socio-political impacts arising during the closure of the gold mining operation on Misima Island off mainland Papua New Guinea, owned by Place Dome and...
- New Dawn Reports Results for the Quarter Ended September 30, 2013. // African Business News;11/14/2013, p12
The article reports on the financial and operational performance of gold mining company New Dawn Mining Corp. in Zimbabwe for the three months and twelve months ended September 30, 2013. It mentions the $1,313 revenue per ounce of gold sold and the closure of operations at the Dalny Mine. It...