Illegal mines shut down in Guyana
- Illegal mines shut down in Guyana. // Hot Calaloo;Mar2011, p18
The article reports on the shutting down of 14 illegal gold mining operations in Essequibo, Guyana by the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) as of May 2011, to curb the problem of raiding gold bearing, vacant State lands.
- Philippines: communities versus mining giants. // Chain Reaction;Summer2000, Issue 84, p45
Reports the withdrawal of equipment from the gold and copper mine of the Australian Climax Arimco Mining Corporation in Didipio, Philippines. Stoppage of the drilling and other exploration activities; Reasons for the temporary closure.
- Nu River Mining Project Stopped. // World Rivers Review;Mar2012, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p3
The article reports on the closing of the gold mining company and removal of its equipment at the Tibetan village in Yunnan, China on January 23, 2012.
- The Impact of Mine Downscaling on the Free State Goldfields. Marais, Lochner // Urban Forum;Dec2013, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p503
Mine downscaling is a common international phenomenon; and the deindustrialisation related to mining that occurred in the global north between 1960 and 1990 has been the focus of numerous studies. Mine downscaling in Africa, and more specifically in South Africa, has only risen to prominence in...
- EMPLOYMENT AND RETRENCHMENT ISSUES IN THE PORGERA GOLD MINE, PAPUA NEW GUINEA: A STRATEGIC APPROACH TO LEAVE BEHIND A BETTER PORGERA. Kanaparo, Peter Balone // Research & Practice in Human Resource Management;Jun2010, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p96
The issue of retrenchment is a topic of considerable relevance for the Papua New Guinea (PNG) mining, petroleum and gas industries. The unique environments in which Porgera JointVenture (PJV) and other similar operations operate are likely to confront these industries with particular dilemmas...
- In Canada. // Engineering & Mining Journal (00958948);Mar1998, Vol. 199 Issue 3, p80
Reports on the slated closure of Echo Bay's Lupin gold mine in the Northwest Territories. Reduced operational levels for the McCoy/Cove mine in Nevada; Estimated number of employees to be laid off.
- Misima Mines Ltd responds to island gold mine concerns. // Ecos;Jun/Jul2005, Issue 125, p8
Australian-based mining watch group, Mineral Policy Institute (MPI) has raised concerns over handling of allegedly significant environmental and socio-political impacts arising during the closure of the gold mining operation on Misima Island off mainland Papua New Guinea, owned by Place Dome and...
- CRG bites the dust. Ryan, Brendan // Finweek;4/21/2011, p8
The article focuses on the plan of gold mining company Central Rand Gold Ltd. (CRG) to shut down its underground operations in South Africa, and reassess its prospects in October 2011. It discusses a decline in the company's share price, the support given by investors to CRG's former chief...
- Gold: Fiji recovers its attraction. // Mining & Quarry World;Sep2007, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p4
The article reports on the reopening by Westech Gold of the Vatukoula gold mine in Fiji formerly owned by Emperor Mines. The mine was closed by Emperor Mines at the end of 2006 with the loss of around 700 jobs. The production at Vatukoula was then affected by a shaft accident, and a subsequent...