A Look at Black Female College Presidents
- Responding to the Voice of Black Women. Stewart, Pearl // Black Issues in Higher Education;3/28/2002, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p24
Reports on the increasing number of Afro-American women in college and university administrative posts as of March 2002. Attributions to the trend; List of Afro-American women presidents; Predictions for the trend.
- Cole 'grateful' after first year at Bennett College. Wesley, Joya // New York Amsterdam News;7/24/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 30, p29
Johnnetta Cole feels thankful as she celebrates her first year as president of the Bennett College in New York City. Cole spent her first anniversary at Bennett talking with reporters. She said that she would be five years at Bennett and on the work that remains to be done. The top challenge on...
- Madam president. Fields, Cheryl D. // Black Issues in Higher Education;09/03/98, Vol. 15 Issue 14, p6
Focuses on the percentage of Afro-American female presidents in universities and colleges. Background details on Mary McLeod Bethune's creation of the only historically Black college to be founded by a woman, Bethune-Cookman College; Challenges faced by historically Black institutions in the...
- Premiere Virginians. // Jet;06/02/97, Vol. 92 Issue 2, p33
Presents a picture of Dr. Marie V. McDemmond, Robert C. `Bobby' Scott, and Douglas Wilder at the 1997 Tim Reid Celebrity Weekend Gala at Norfolk State University in Virginia. McDemmond as the first female president of Norfolk State University.
- UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO DEAN. // Ebony;Jun2004, Vol. 59 Issue 8, p12
Features Danielle Allen, the first African-American dean at the University of Chicago in Illinois as of June 2004. Comment on her role as dean of the humanities division; Career background with the university; Educational background.
- Seeking Professional Opportunities Outside Your Comfort Zone. Jimison, Sylvia // Diverse: Issues in Higher Education;6/26/2008, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p20
The author discusses her experiences as an African American women college administrator. While working at the Cape Cod Community College in Massachusetts, she felt isolated from the other administrators because the staff was not diverse. The author used her talents to coordinate cultural events...
- Denise Rodgers Lands a New Job at the New Rutgers University. // Women in Academia Report;07/09/2013, p10
The article announces that Denise Rodgers was appointed as vice chancellor for interprofessional programs at Rutgers University and director of the Rutgers Urban Health and Wellness Institute.
- Marguerite Archie-Hudson Named First Female Prexy of Talladega College. // Jet;11/02/98, Vol. 94 Issue 23, p40
Reports that Dr. Marguerite Archie-Hudson was named the president of Talladega College in Talladega, Alabama. Previous positions held; Education; Background on Talladega.
- AWARD PRESENTATION. // Jet;4/25/2005, Vol. 107 Issue 17, p41
Highlights the award of the Brock International Prize in Education to Spelman College President Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum. Report that Daniel Tatum is the first woman and the first African American to win the award.