Spice of Culinary Life
- Seeds. Hughes, Meredith Sayles // Flavor Foods;2000, p74
The mustard plant bears its seeds in a pod, much like beans or peas. The seeds are tiny, but they can grow into gray-green plants from 2 to 10 feet tall, heavy with yellow flowers and buzzing with bees. Another important spice derived from a plant's seed is actually two spices in one ï¿½...
- Special Amish and Mennonite Flavors. Libal, Joyce // Amish & Mennonite, American Regional Cooking Library;2004, p18
This section presents photographs of special Amish and Mennonite food flavors and spices, including cheese, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- nutmeg. Morton, Mark // Cupboard Love;1997, p209
An encyclopedia entry for "nutmeg" is presented. When the word nutmeg entered English at the end of the fourteenth century, it was spelt notemugge. The medieval form of the spice's name originated from the French nois muguede, which had in turn developed from the Late Latin nuce muscata. In...
- BA'S NEXT-LEVEL INDIAN PANTRY. CUSHING, BELLE // Bon Appetit;Jan2016, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p94
The article focuses on various Indian spices that can be purchased from a spice store or ordered online at the website kalustyans.com, and presents the pictures. Topics include green cardamom, yellow mustard seeds and ceylon cinnamon.
- Spicy Thai Marinade with Basil and Cilantro. // Food & Wine;Jul2011, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p110
A recipe for spicy Thai Marinade with Basil and Cilantro leaves is presented.
- INDIAN INGREDIENTS. // Restaurant Business;Feb2007, Vol. 106 Issue 2, p50
The article presents information on the various spices and spice mixtures of India. Cumin seeds are a basic and essential spice used mainly in the north. It benefits heart health and stimulates circulation. Turmeric is used in soups, stews and dhals for its bright yellow color. Coriander seeds...
- Eating well. // Australian House & Garden;Sep2006, Issue 9, p155
The article presents information on the health benefits of some Moroccan herbs and spices. One teaspoon of cinnamon a day helps in stabilizing blood sugar. The ginger root provides relief from nausea and stomach upsets. The turmeric is highly regarded for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory...
- NEWS DIGESTS. // Nation's Restaurant News;2/14/2005, Vol. 39 Issue 7, p18
This article focuses on information related to food industry. Del Taco Inc., rolled out its first fish taco and is supporting the launch with a "tall tales" promotion on its Web site. The new Crispy Fish Taco contains Alaskan pollock seasoned with citrus, cilantro and jalapeno flavors and is...
- Spice of Life. Turner, Lisa // Better Nutrition;Nov2009, Vol. 71 Issue 11, p44
The article presents information on the use of herbs and spices to increase the culinary value of any simple dish. Herbs are obtained from leaves and flowers, whereas spices are made from roots, fruits and seeds. It talks about various herbs and spices including basil, used in Italian cooking,...